[eDebate] Re-thinking the States Counterplan (ans garner)

Paul Strait paulstrait
Sun Apr 5 11:09:50 CDT 2009

RG:
>(3) Opportunity cost. I'm open to this perspective, but doesn't it beg the
>question of what position the judge adopts. Certainly grassroots movements
>or political think-tanks, among others, are presented with an opportunity
>cost decision to focus resources on producing policy ideas for either states
>or federal government. Not that that answers the literature argument, but
>I'd be interested to hear from someone who knows this idea better.
LPS:
The States CP (along with every other alternative agent CP) fails in this respect.  If you are actually interested in the question of whether some particular grassroots movement, think-tank, or activist should support federal action or state action, the last thing you would want to do is bracket off the question of whether or not the federal government or the state governments are actually likely to say yes.  Since fiat does precisely that, debates in which fiated federal action is compared to fiated state action are useless at answering this question.

--
L. Paul Strait

Doctoral Student,
Annenberg School for Communication
University of Southern California
Cell: 202-270-6397

"When, for example, an aristocracy... throws away its privileges with a sublime disgust and sacrifices itself to an extravagance of its own moral feelings, that is corruption"  -F. Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, #258
Rediscover Hotmail?: Get quick friend updates right in your inbox.