[eDebate] USFG

Old Strega oldstrega
Wed Apr 8 21:32:41 CDT 2009

there are other agents like the UN, IMF, NATO, WTO etc. of which the US is a member and certain policies of those agents hinge on the US position.   debating those agents would be productive as kuswa has long suggested.    opens the door for the USFG CP so you'll never completely get rid of this agent.
backing up lacy.   USFG is often a good agent to debate if USFG is the agent responsible for a questionable action.   in-round advocacy of the cessation of a war can be viewed as amplification of a social movement's demand on the USFG.    this approach successfully navigated on many occasions by reed and stetson against statism critiques of lifting the sanctions on iraq breaks down reified notions of state power.  "we, the government, demand you, the people."   changing the agent to the people in the room is not necessary when the plan is situated as a policy demand.   if the demand withstands scrutiny, the judge votes affirmative.   we can't personally sign the legislation to withdraw troops from iraq but we can participate in the demand for the president to sign.
traditional conceptions of fiat are thrown to the wayside.

foucault, the foucault effect, p. 103
The excessive value attributed to the problem of the state is expressed, basically, in two ways: the one form, immediate, affective, and tragic, is the lyricism of the cold monster we see confronting us...But the state, more probably today than at any other time in its history, does not have this unity, this individuality, this rigorous functionality, nor to speak frankly, this importance.  Maybe, after all, the state is no more than a composite reality and mythologized abstraction, whose importance is a lot more limited than many of us think.   Maybe what is really important for our modernity--that is, for our present, is not so much the statization of society, as the "govermentalization" of the state.

http://toprovenothing.blogspot.com/2008/02/foucault-powerknowledge-truth-and-power.html

?I
don?t want to say that the State isn?t important; what I want to say is that
relations of power, and hence the analysis that must be made of them,
necessarily extend beyond the limits of the State. In two senses: first of all
because the State, for all the omnipotence of its apparatuses, is far from
being able to occupy the whole field of actual power relations, and further
because the State can only operate on the basis of other, already existing
power relations? (122).

Rediscover Hotmail?: Get quick friend updates right in your inbox.