[eDebate] Poverty Just Is

john foy glueboy1
Wed Apr 15 14:04:46 CDT 2009

One last comment.  Most of the aff's I saw this year with a poverty advantage didn't really emphasize the value and dignity of the person, but instead predicted that hungry people would do crazy political shit that would lead to extinction.  Charity towards the poor (and not just from the rich, Paul reminds us that the poor should also be charitable towards one another) is done for it's own sake and not some other.  John Chysostom put is this way:

"If it is possible for you, remember everything I have said. If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs."

John

Windows Live?: Keep your life in sync.