[eDebate] New Blog on Hip-Hop, law, and culture

Nick Sciullo nicksciullo
Mon Apr 27 20:49:29 CDT 2009

Hey folks, below you'll find a press release to a blog I am a part of, www.HipHopLaw.com.  It's a useful resource for folks interested in bringing hip-hop discussions into the debate community (debate rounds) and should encourage discussion from a broad array of folks. I know we've seen a rise in rounds that discuss hip-hop, play hip-hop, and critique hip-hop in the last several years and that's why this blog seems so timely.  We've got an outstanding panel of great critical legal theorists, critical race theorists, and otherwise wonderful legal minds posting provactively.  I encourage you to take a look, book mark us, and comment on our posts early and often.  We appreciate your support and I hope we'll be a resource for you in the near future.

Best,

Nick J. Sciullo

West Virginia University College of Law

*** FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE ***

DATE: April 23, 2009

HipHopLaw.com provides unprecedented analysis of the intersection of hip hop and the law.

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. ? American University Washington College of Law Professor Pamela D.
Bridgewater, in conjunction with West Virginia University College of Law Professor andr? douglas
pond cummings and third year law student Brian Welch, proudly announce the launch of a unique
new website examining hip hop?s influence on law and society: www.HipHopLaw.com.

The website features legal academics, intellectuals and music executives debating hip hop?s impact,
for both good and ill, on U.S. and international law and culture. Recent articles have examined
Republican Party National Chairman Michael Steele?s efforts to give the GOP a ?hip hop
makeover?, commercial radio?s impact on hip hop?s glorification of gangster culture, and the
reasons behind the current lack of prominent female rappers.

"Hip hop has profoundly impacted United States culture in obvious ways,? states cummings. ?What
has been less explored, however, is the impact that the hip hop movement has had on the law and
the attitudes of law makers and law abiders.? Continues cummings, ?This website will analyze,
with precision, the ways that hip hop music has left a global footprint and how it continues to
impact the law and those that decide whether to abide by it or not.?

HipHopLaw.com aims to continue the discussions developed at The Evolution of Street
Knowledge: Hip Hop?s Influence on Law and Culture, a symposium conducted at the West
Virginia University College of Law on February 12-13, 2009. That event featured keynote speakers
Dr. Cornel West and Talib Kweli as well as over 20 leading intellectuals from across the country
exploring the impact of hip hop on U.S. law and culture.

In addition to Bridgewater, cummings and Welch, the website features analysis from the following
contributors: Akilah Folami, Associate Professor of Law, Hofstra Law School; Horace Anderson,
Associate Professor of Law, Pace Law School; Olufunmilayo Arewa, Associate Professor of Law,
Northwestern Law School; Anthony Farley, Professor of Jurisprudence, Albany Law School; Nick
J. Sciullo, President & CEO, Nick J. Sciullo Consulting, LLC; Tonya M. Evans, Assistant Professor
of Law, Widener University School of Law; D. Aaron Lacy, Associate Professor of Law, Southern
Methodist University Dedman School of Law; Reginald L. Robinson, Professor of Law, Howard
University School of Law; and Kamille Wolff, Assistant Professor of Law, Texas Southern
University Thurgood Marshall School of Law.

CONTACT:
Pamela D. Bridgewater
Professor of Law
American University
Washington College of Law
pbridgewater at wcl.american.edu
202.274.4065

andr? douglas pond cummings
Professor of Law
West Virginia University College of Law
andre.cummings at mail.wvu.edu
304.293.7776

Brian Welch
Manager
HipHopLaw.com
brian.richard.welch at gmail.com
304.203.0212
###

Rediscover Hotmail?: Now available on your iPhone or BlackBerry
http://windowslive.com/RediscoverHotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Rediscover_Mobile2_042009