[eDebate] WDI policy workshop

Alfred Snider alfred.snider
Wed Apr 29 10:25:01 CDT 2009

I have met with Continuing Education today and we have decided to:

Cancel the College Policy Workshop
Cancel the Coaching Workshop

Our international workshops in Europe and Latin America are not impacted
by this.

After 25 years of the WDI this is a difficult move to make, but I think
it is the right one in terms of fiscal realities and the desire to
reinstate future summer programs related to debating.

The reasons are clear:

  1. The university has jacked up fees for use, housing, meals etc.
     until it is beyond being acceptable. There is no way we can be
     financially accessible to students under the current university
     charge system.
  2. Financial losses could threaten our main debate budget.
  3. The economy has put pressures on people to cut back, and summer
     programs are a logical place to start. This is true in all summer
     programs in America. This combines with the first point.
  4. The flu situation has scared some of our international attendees away.
  5. Policy debate continues to shrink in the USA, and especially that
     important part of the population, people who feel that with a
     summer institute experience they can be competitive in the coming
     year. There are fewer of these in our midst.

I want to thank every for their support, hard work, tears, toil and love
over the last 25 years.

I feel that when one door closes another one opens. I will now turn to
finding that new door. I bet I won't have to look long.

Best,

Tuna

--
Alfred C. Snider aka Tuna