[eDebate] Re-thinking the States Counterplan

Dylan Keenan dylan.keenan
Fri Apr 3 07:57:44 CDT 2009

I strongly agree with what Ryan has written and I?ll add a few thoughts of
my own.

1.      There are a variety of ways to test beyond simply the disad. You can
condition federal funding on mandatory state action, or conversely offer a
block grant and let the states write the details of the policy. Both of
these seem pretty pertinent to poverty and other domestic topics. They
resolve JP?s concern about the logic of decision-making and preserve
affirmative ground because the state response in these situations is often
problematic and because the mechanisms are common enough to receive robust
criticism, such as disads and solvency arguments, in the literature.

2.      Why exactly is testing important for that matter? Utopian fiat and
world government also test the plan in a sense. In fact, any negative
strategy which competes is a test of something about the aff or the the
topic. The point is that tests should be realistic, in that (a) the
affirmative can strategically innovate within mainstream topic literature to
respond to the CP and (b) it reflects the actual tradeoffs faced by real
policy makers which are used to create better policy. Testing is good when
you?re testing something useful in a useful way. It?s questionable if the
states CP meets these criteria.

3.      States promotes a troubling model of decision-making. I love the
politics DA. Strategically I think it is awesome. But when it?s coupled with
the states CP it says ?Don?t act. There?s someone else who can do it and you
can avoid blame?. Basically it turns the topic decision-making into
responsibility-shirking.

4.      The requirement for a solvency advocate should bound best policy
option considerations. A few examples: Lopez nuclear power, Devolve power to
regulate CAFOS but isolated to that one instance. These are truly terrible
ideas. Nuclear power is federal because only the feds have the massive
infrastructure and control over interstate commerce of nuclear material.
Devolving one regulatory power for absolutely no reason other than avoiding
a disad would shred court credibility and raise many legal battles and
massive uncertainty. But these proposals are also so absurd that they aren?t
discussed anywhere (FYI, this is true of pretty much every K ever, not to
mention Trainer?s de-dev arguments, but that?s another subject). My point is
that frequently states, and more so, Lopez, are not the best policy, but the
absurdity of the proposal makes it un-researchable and thus in
evidence-dependent debate, it becomes impossible to prove a bad idea
actually is bad. Under the guise of testing optimal agency we have strayed
so far from real-world tests that we end up reaching a flawed conclusion.

On another note, congratulations to Wake GL and Kansas BJ, two awesome teams
and four wonderful people. Of course, they already know my thoughts on 50
state fiat.

-dylan