[eDebate] Re-thinking the States Counterplan

Richard A. Garner richardgarner
Fri Apr 3 11:12:56 CDT 2009

"I agree with Ricky that many debaters privilege certain types of impacts,
but I disagree that the K is an effective solution to these problems."

Let me rephrase: I don't think that critique is a solution to this problem.
My argument is that debate operates as a larger discursive structure whose
concepts valorize or disallow certain discourses, and that this valorization
tends toward an overall objectivization (organization of objects of analysis
via practice and discourse) that privileges questions of externally oriented
national policy (and thus, ultimately, geopolitics) measured by a discourse
of utilitarianism. Whether or not this is a good or a bad thing, or why this
is the case, debate likes/wants/desires/prefers/chooses to be this way, and
has developed an aresenal of concepts designed to stabilize this focus. The
States CP is one of these tools, and one of the primary ones.

In this sense, critiques per se are not a solution to the States CP tout
court, unless by that one means that they, and this is an empirical
question, refocus debate on questions of  nonutilitarian political choices,
or produce subjective positions that have been able to open up political
discussion that operate outside this central circuity of evaluation. In this
sense, the critique has already been an answer to the States CP, and an
effective one.

What the critique has done is posed questions about what it means to debate,
and what debate's proper coordinates are, on the level of a theory that
pluralizes and enriches the calcified concepts of education, fairness,
political action, government policymaking, and jurisdiction (five seconds of
a topicality violation when I was in high school). The greater depth into
which these questions can be analyzed in debate today versus ten years ago
is undeniable, even shocking (despite the often extremely well-justified
wishes of many that these discussion would go away ... and I judge more
framework debates than most).

It is precisely at this level that critiques have provided conceptual tools
that might be useful in advancing a slightly different standard of
policymaking, though I think the real value is in focusing not on what the
stakes are re: States CP, but where the stakes are located.

RG

p.s. I would also like to add, that one of the problems of the discussion
might be that there is no unified theory of action that can allow for
certain CPs while excluding others that we do want; we can make the
arguments a la a series of justifications, but there is no strong conceptual
differentiation that does not allow for both possibilities to exist. For
example, it may be that opportunity cost allows for such a conceptual
organization, but it seems like opportunity cost also negates the conceptual
validity of the politics disadvantage. Most people are unprepared to accept
such collateral damage.

p.p.s. I think that an answer to Stefan's arguments would be: 1) Dylan's
argument re: block grants, etc, which would look much more like the
literature and restrict the actor to the FG, and 2) abandoning the States CP
would force policy-area specific CP choices, which would increase the depth
of debates re: the negative's approach to research, whereas there is
currently no incentive to research these areas at all because the States CP
is an option.