[eDebate] Re-thinking the States Counterplan

Eric Morris ermocito
Fri Apr 3 12:18:31 CDT 2009

1. Identifying current practices as 'calcified'  is not equivalent to
refuting them. To critique a concept is not to refute it, but at most to
propose a line of inquiry. Judges should encourage direct refutation of
critiques, and often judging privileges indirect refutation and discourages
direct refutation. It should thus be unsurprising that few debaters select
direct refutation. I don't ask that K debates go away - I would like to see
them decided more consistently. I suggest a degree of calcification is thus
good, since it makes it easier to train debaters what they should be looking
for when they cut cards about a particular K.

2. Few arguments disenfranchise undergraduate research as much as the K as
currently practiced - particularly due to the ambiguities of how debate
rounds will be decided. It should be much easier to (a) get people to offer
their cites (including first word/last word) as is the expectation for
academic work in other settings (b) get mileage from attacking the
assumptions behind a particular book or article - which often have a far
stronger link to the K than the K often does to the case and (c) describe in
fair detail the alternative framework assumptions under which the K is
operating to anticipate which arguments 'count' and why. Creating a norm
where attacking the K directly is a better path to victory would increase
greatly the number of people who attempted that approach. I should note that
there are some judges who will give counter evidence to the K a great deal
of weight, but many do not. Like policy arguments, there are lots of
practices that have the combined effect of protecting K's as strong
strategic options.

3. Evaluation of a particular debate may (and should!) draw upon arguments
about whether a particular argument is 'good for debate', but individual
round decisions should focus more on answering the question at hand (who won
THIS debate) than the broader question (invoking a strong bias against the
states CP, or the K, etc.).

4. I'm not willing to concede either that (a) no states CP's are opportunity
costs or (b) no politics disads are opportunity costs. In the latter case, I
think it depends on the link. I do think any 'unified theory of action' is a
formula for calcification. But, I'm not opposed to calcification per se.

5. I do think that theory arguments which oppose not ALL states
counterplans, but certain types of fiat (uniformity) which negate much of
the lit base, might be a way forward. This PIC-based approach to theory
debating has won a lot of rounds, particularly on topicality.