[eDebate] Re-thinking the States Counterplan

Josh jbhdb8
Sat Apr 4 14:37:58 CDT 2009

For years I pushed the "no solvency author" assumes the 50 states acting in
concert in labs as a means to consistently beat the States
CP...Unfortunately, Kamal and Harris found all these cards from this
National Association that drafts uniform state legislation that kind of
called this into question.  I still think its insane to say that any federal
public policy advocate has any reasonable need to write responses to this CP
so it makes it reallllllly hard for an aff to debate the Topic as
intended....I know for a fact it always comes down to the cases that have a
USFG offensive warrant not what needs to be done to solve poverty.

Personally, I agree with most everyone on the "State CP = death of poverty
topic" tip......not hard to agree with this...I do have a few questions for
the extremely far right "don't teach the State CP" version of this:

First, doesn't this kind of sellout many of our deepest held beliefs about
letting the best argument win the day and let debate lead theory?

Second, how does one get practice beating the states CP on a topic where
people will 100% run the state CP when we don't even "introduce it" at camps
etc.  Seems to me most of us got our hard opinions about this CP after
decades of debating it.....Removing it only means less well thought out
answers and discussion among judging pools on how best to defeat it.

Third, isn't the problem more related to a very normal judging philosophy
that accepts things "like the plan" as solvency evidence for the plan?
Generally, 99% of judges think if the solvency evidence is CLOSE that is all
the negative needs.  This year Aaron about went insane because NONE (as in
ZERO) of the cards about the make a quid pro quo with china trading IPR for
getting rid of cotton subsidies were actually about that particular quid pro
quo but because judges saw China, IPR, and lift Subsidies they looked the
other way on solvency every time.  Two years ago the entire court topic
ended up where you could hardly win an affirmative debate because of the low
solvency standards for what constituted a solvency card on the
constitutional conventions counter-plan.  Honestly, I blame judge looseness
on solvency requirements MUCH more than I do debaters running the actor
CPs.  We all know its ABSURD that the 50 states in unison do a public policy
action that they have NEVER really ever done but 99% say "A-OK."

Josh