[eDebate] Re-thinking the States Counterplan

David Glass gacggc
Sat Apr 4 14:43:10 CDT 2009

Tim, it is extremely bad advice to "implore" teachers at summer
institutes to "not teach debaters the states counterplan," since there
is no doubt that the students will be hearing the states argument a
lot.  It is hard to believe anyone would advocate not teaching as a
solution to dealing with an argument.

Also, as Stefan mentioned, the states counterplan has the rather
useful effect of limiting an extremely large topic to those areas
where there is a particular warrant for federal action. At the topic
meeting, this issue was brought up when people voiced concern as to
the breadth of the resolution, and it was pointed out that with states
as a tool for the neg, the aff would have to be quite selective in
choosing an aff.  So the states cp was considered as a necessary
limiting tool, allowing for this particular wording (if we throw out
the states cp, the discussions at the high school topic meeting would
be necessarily focused on adding in additional limiters).

As to whether states destroys the case debate, this is often true, but
it seems less true when it comes to anti-poverty legislation.  There
are many job-creation programs that have been created by the federal
government particularly because states dont have the money to step in,
and yet those states need the jobs.  State funding disads will not be
hard to come  by next year.

Also, while concepts such as federalism are old-hat to coaches, they
are news to high school debaters.   Same with politics.   These issues
will not go away from the political discourse just by ignoring them in
high school debate rounds;  therefore students will be ill-served by
coaches who refuse to teach these fundamental  args.

It is understandable why coaches and debaters want to innovate; it is
much more fun to craft an entirely new approach to an arg than to have
a kid run states/federalism or states/politics.  But such a
bread-and-butter approach gives the young debater a reasonable way to
learn the game, and to get sufficient grounding from which to branch
out.

AT Ryan:

1)  "First, the states counterplan guts in-depth education on domestic topics."

The states cp does not seem to uniquely gut the case debate in
comparison to any other agent cp.  It seems this arg applies to all
agent cps, including ones with a single actor (executive order, etc).
The better arg is that 50 state fiat is not symmetrical to federal
action - however there are in fact anti-poverty programs in all 50
states, so it may depend on the particular aff.

2) "Second, the states counterplan thrives by distorting the
literature base to answer it."

You're right about Lopez, but there will be no need to devolve
authority to the states when it comes to poverty.  So the Lopez-based
disads don't seem to apply this year.

3) "Third, the benefits of testing the  federal government  in the
resolution with the states counterplan are vastly overstated"

Again, this arg seems to apply to any agent c/p.  If you toss all of
these out, you privilege the status of the federal govt - and even the
particular branch of the federal gov't the aff chooses.   So you'd
also eliminate the courts c/p; executive orders; refs, etc.

Anticipating that you might say this is good, one can also make the
same arg against a PIC which avoids doing the aff in a particular
area, or avoids doing a part of the aff - each of these "classical"
cps decreases the need to discuss the case.  (Actually all cps
decrease the need to discuss the case - so you're arg is a more
general "cp bad" position.")

4)  "the counterplan guts in-depth education on domestic topics.  "

That  also could be said about almost any cp.  It could also be said
about almost any K... and perhaps the K, with its shift in the
discussion framework, is more effective at gutting   case-specific
education.

5) "I suspect we will see a lot of military aff s and aff s dealing
with federal agencies to try to carve out some narrow warrant for why
the USFG is necessary in this instance.  "

I agree.  That was my thought when we were discussing this at the
Topic Meeting.  This does not seem bad to me; there are still a large
number of affs - and the rez becomes functionally much more easily
navigated.

You say these affs shouldnt be the only functionally viable affs - but
it is always the case that good affs = all affs - unstrategic affs;
your focus on states doesn't seem warranted.

It is difficult to defend such a vanilla approach to debate - but
remember there was a time when the state cp was wildly innovative, and
it forced people to rethink their approach to the aff, and concentrate
on areas where there was a particular need for federal action.   This
still does not seem to be an irrelevant of bad requirement when
thinking about federal action.

David Glass