[eDebate] Re-thinking the States Counterplan

David Glass gacggc
Sat Apr 4 15:38:27 CDT 2009

just to emphasize one point:  consider next year's high school
resolution without the states cp for a second; it is huge.  really
really really huge;  in the world of the states cp however there are
still interesting aff areas where states would not be strategic, where
you can also actually discuss poverty

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Brad Hall <hallbrad at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> others are sufficient reason to reject the states cp but debaters rarely go
>>> for these arguments in debates.
>>> Third, as judges. If the aff goes for "cp doesn't solve" hold the
>>> negative to the same solvency burden that the affirmative has. If the aff
>>> has cards that the federal government can solve certain problems then?the
>>> neg should be required to read evidence that advocates their counterplan
>>> which means if the cp does 50 state and territories fiat then they need an
>>> advocate for that type of action. Failure to have said advocate should be
>>> evaluated not as a "solvency deficit" but as a "100% solvency deficit". It
>>> is unfair to expect the affirmative to detail and evidence solvency deficits
>>> to a counterplan that, as others in this thread have noted, is completely
>>> absent from the literature.
>>>
>>> I'll conclude with a final comment about summer debate institutes because
>>> I believe that to be the most significant area where people can make a
>>> difference. What happens at summer institutes truly shapes each generation
>>> of debaters. Summer institute directors need to seriously contemplate the
>>> role of their "institute". Are they really an educational arena as their
>>> brochures suggest? At any moment in time could a teacher from a high school
>>> walk in to a labroom and could the "instruction" being received be justified
>>> as truly educational? Or are these programs really just big debate strategy
>>> sessions where students are taught cheap tricks by coaches who are really
>>> training students to be the debaters they want on their college squads in
>>> the future. Lately, I'm sad to report, the trend has been toward cheap
>>> tricks and bad arguments. Each of you that works at a summer institute can
>>> make a genuine difference in that. I truly hope you will approach your lab
>>> with the idea that you are there to teach the students in your group about
>>> the substance of the?topic.
>>> Ryan Galloway is 100% correct when he says:
>>> "Instead of encouraging understanding of issues related to poverty, the
>>> states cp forces everyone involved to narrow and obscure areas of poverty
>>> literature.
>>> Everyone who researches, teaches about, leans about, and grapples with
>>> every domestic topic is intentionally cordoned off to a narrow literature
>>> base to research the topic to get around that blasted ?federal government?
>>> warrant.? Maybe it?s time we learned about more.? We are losing something
>>> here, and we are losing the in-depth understanding about issues that are
>>> important for our students to learn about, especially in trying economic
>>> times."
>>>
>>> Please, please, please this summer make a commitment to?teaching your
>>> students about the substance of poverty not the sham of the states
>>> counterplan.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Tim Mahoney
>>> Director of Debate, St. Mark's School of Texas
>>> 214-734-3673 cell