[eDebate] repost: Final round video-need ec feedback

Steven D'Amico stevendamico
Sun Apr 5 12:29:46 CDT 2009

Debaters are not NCAA basketball players.

Debate teams are not regularly televised and schools do not get paid for TV
rights by major broadcast networks. Debate memorabilia and advertising
agreements are not revenue sources for universities.  Debaters never signed
any informed consent agreeing that their image can be distributed on public
airwaves and Internets. NCAA players waive these rights with informed legal
paperwork. Their interests are protected by entire college athletic
programs. NCAA players at the top programs even go through media training,
and are prepared for being in the spotlight.

Debaters are much less prepared to be under public scrutiny, especially when
we are often times defending things which we disagree with, or are very
objectionable to the public at large (nuclear war good, cap bad, etc).
Allowing debaters to "opt out" seems like the least we can do given the
unforeseen consequences of exposing oneself to the public.

In sum, NCAA players know what they are getting into. They consent to their
image being used for an advertising apparatus, and have people who help them
prepare for such engagements. There are people who help protect them when
things go wrong. These are structures and policies we don't have in debate
(nor is it feasible).

Steve D'Amico