[eDebate] repost: Final round video-need ec feedback

Zach Round The World zachrtw
Sun Apr 5 13:53:51 CDT 2009

Good spread on CEDA vs. Basketball, but it fails to miss the point,
that was an example, not the crux of my argument. Those are all things
that are the way they are because of the media attention that
basketball gets today. They were not the rules that filming of
basketballl games started under. And for almost everything else my
answer is "why not?"

-Debate teams do not produce revenue for schools.
Why not? They produce money for the staff, what about debate camps?
You telling me that a debate camp isn't a revune stream?

-Debate teams are not followed by entire communities outside of the university.
But they are. Go to Youtube and look at how many deabtes are online.
Look at me I'm 15 years out of having any connection to any program.

-Debate teams are not regularly televised and schools do not get paid
for televised debates by networks. Debaters never signed any informed
consent agreeing that their image can be distributed on public
airwaves and Internets. NCAA players waive these rights with informed
legal paperwork. Their interests are protected by entire college
athletic (and legal) structures absent from debate.
1) why not? 2) I can promise that you waived those rights to the
school when you were admited. Anything you do while representing your
school is something they have say over, not you. Just like when you
attend a major league game by simpling buying the ticket you give them
to right to se your image for any thing they want.

-Debate teams are often not supported by school administration.
1_) Why not? Oh maybe because they won't let themselves be taped and
get some attention to the program. 2) Often? You mean there are more
deabte teams that get NO funding from the school then do? Amazing,
where are those stats?

-The vast majority of debaters do not get significant scholarships to compete.
Claim data warrant, that's how we did it when I debated, has that changed?

-Debaters do not have drug tests.
1) Why not? 2) Too many would fail 3) What does this have to do with
anything, they test me at my job, does that mean I can be filmed now?

-Debaters do no have an extreme code of conduct anything close to what
the NCAA does.
Why not? They could. I didn't know that common sense was one of those
things that could be codified.

-Debate stars are not public figures like NCAA stars.
1) Why not, oh that's right they won' tlet themselves be taped so
therefore they can't become public figures. That's not my fault, maybe
you need a better PR department. Even my lowely self was interviewed
by university paper and city papers. No bright line here. Then again
what are you trying to hide?

-The top debaters do not get drafted by a professional debate league.
No but they do try to get drafted into grad school.

-Most people do not find what the NCAA does objectionable, many
people, believe it or not, hate what we do.
So the way to get people to stop hating you is to stop them from
watching you? Only by shining the light of day onto CEDA's dark little
secrets can you hope to win over people. You are still close minded
and not looking at the big picture.
-etc etc etc

Um let's seem what else, people worried about how they look on TV?
Grow up, put on your big boy shorts and debate. At the level of a
nation championship if you are not worring about how you look you
shouldn't be national champion. If there is anything you might say
that could look bad is someone else saw it 1,5,or 10 years from now,
don't say it. I said some pretty crazy stuff when i was debating for
Carson (Big T Technocracy anyone?) But I will stand by anything I said
in any debate round that I was ever end. I said it, I meant it.  Just
because it's switch side debate doesn't mean you can't be true to
yourself.

We aren't talking about prime time TV, we are talking about posting
videos to youtube. I'm willing to bet there is a good chance that
every single person in the final round has already been on youtube at
some point and time.

I don't buy the arguement that debate forces you to defend things that
are objectionable. You don't argue that nuke war is good because
someone is forcing you to, you do it because it's easier then
answering the line by line. Show me the argument that can be made
where the ONLY way to win is to say nuke war good. The easiest answer
to Towson is to say racism good, and that africans are an inferior
race (you know those cards are out there) but most would never say it
beacuse you would have to have no soul to stoop that low to win.

So I ask this....
Say I show up to nationals next year with a camera, sit out of the way
of everyone and quitely sit and record the event.
Am I going to be kicked out? On what grounds? Is CEDA not a public event?
I make a recording and I post it, you going to sue me? Send a cease
and desist letter?
I said no way in hell.

It's much better to be open and up front, and say every second of ever
round will be recorded, posted, and kept up for ever and ever. And if
you can't live with that, maybe you should be debating.

I'm sorry i really had no intention of saying anything after my first
post, but your reply was so childish and condisending that it really
got my blood boiling.

Zach