[eDebate] States CP- Voting Issue and Recirprocity

Josh jbhdb8
Mon Apr 6 19:46:38 CDT 2009

Few comments

1. Totally correct judges do not vote on theory, for the most part....and
they should..However, I suspect more judges might if debaters slowed down on
the theory blocks so that they are more flowable....Its verrrrrry hard to
flow theory super fast (preempt - yes, I am old - but its true).  In
addition, the way people write theory blocks makes it even LESS likely that
the flow is clean because instead of refutation - one team reads a block,
the other team reads a block that may or may not cover what was in the
initial theory block.  The rest of the debate goes something like this:

Initiator: They conceded all of our offensive reasons x is illigit,
education, fairness, river dancing, and 30 Rock, then about 100 more

Responder: Now very slow, they conceded all of our arguments, then listing
them all one after another just like before.

You can see why, judges sometimes feel uncomfortable voting for or against
theory.  Because I am old, I feel comfortablle admitting the whole thing is
generally a flowing disaster.

Now, that said, people actually ran and won a ton of rounds this year on a
CP that had China agree to IPR enforcement if the US ended cotton
subsidies....not only did it have no precise solvency arguments it also
relied on the following da - I cant make this up - but obviously someone
did:

China believes the US will defend Taiwan now - China will see the plan as
appeasement and think it means that they can invade Taiwan - invasion
escalates = nuke war

Seriously?

States is only one of a million ways this works out.....I am a neg flex guy,
but these CPs are abominations of strategery over substance.

Look all systems break down - there is lot to learn from being strategic but
when the stuff you learn starts being less about the real-world of the topic
(nobody who writes about the topic would even consider the cp, nobody who
had decisionmaking authority would do anything but laugh at the cp).

2. There was a 50 states CP in the old days that was not illigitimate
because it was the NON UNIFORMITY of the implementation that made it a
debate covered in the literature (should the states INNOVATE or should the
Fed nationally implement).  I will concede that even this CP was a bit shady
on the 50 states all doing something similar to the plan...but at least it
was a debate.