[eDebate] Is it time to get away from Policy debate?

Brad Hall hallbrad
Thu Apr 9 11:12:13 CDT 2009

I think JP's example of Iraq would have been a good topic before the war --
I'm not sure if he's advocating it being a topic now so much as an example
of why we need to debate about USFG policy (it is quite a powerful body and
implicates even non-citizens in its deliberation and actions).
But just to take on your climate example:
1. Many, many advocates exist for unilateral action -- not sure what
"literature" you're referring to, but it's certainly not the mainstream of
policymakers who all advocate domestic action that will then -- and only
then -- make possible a global agreement that includes China and India.
There is a strong debate within the non-US international community about the
difficulty of a deal at Copenhagen without a strong US commitment before. I
debated the energy resolution in 2004-5 and it was an awesome topic -- the
aff was not hamstrung by being forced into unilateral action.

2. There are a lot of non-climate advantages to revising energy policy --
for example: the economy (particularly competitiveness), natural security
implications of foreign energy dependence, trade, US relations with a litany
of countries, US environmental impacts from CO2 emissions, green military.

3. A topic could include the US as an actor but allow the option of
cooperative action with China, India, etc. (or pressure a la the China
topic).

I think you should reconsider writing a topic paper on this if you're
actually interested in the issue. The last energy topic was outstanding
despite some flaws in the wording (for example, forcing the aff into the
sadomasochism K was a real killer for us that year).

Brad

--
Brad Hall
hallbrad at gmail.com