[eDebate] Agents/States/False Dichotomy - "K" and "policy"

Dylan Keenan dylan.keenan
Sat Apr 11 12:06:58 CDT 2009

This made me kind of grumpy. I?m sure I?ll catch some flak for this but I
did learn a lot about debate decorum from Josh Hoe, so here goes.

Jackie says ?The ?realism bad? side controls uniqueness, all those things
you say are good about ?realism? have proven to fail us in all areas.
Environment,
economy, poverty, war?. Find one.?

Actually all of them are getting better (see cards at the bottom),
especially if one takes a historical perspective. What troubles me is that
people can look at individual problems and generalize without rigor or data.
The problem is that for the K folk who have no interest in quantitative
analysis the Iraq war can become evidence of global violence, the financial
crisis reveals the structural flaws in capitalism and climate change is
evidence of the unsustainable character of consumer culture.

I?m especially disturbed because these flawed forms of analysis are
justified by self-serving and non-falsifiable methods. So Zizek thinks he
can deduce the nature of material reality from a (false) theory of the mind.
Whatever comes into conflict with that theory is actually a distorted
picture of reality that?s created by our secret desire to cause suffering.
McWhorter thinks that our desire to manage the environment is the root of
violence.

And it is here that Ermo?s point about trivial distinctions is most true.
Zizek and McWhorter should have to answer to the mountains of carefully
collected and analyzed objective data about the world. They should have
explain how funny allegories for the human condition are statistically
significant and why we should accept a theory of the mind which cannot be
disproved as the basis of politics. They have to refute the actually that
mean and median wealth are increasing and that air pollution, water
pollution and deforestation have all declined in the US.

These arguments challenge convention, but they do so in a dangerous and
counterproductive fashion. A cursory look at human history shows that it has
been a story of poverty, misery and suffering. The wealthiest person 200
years ago didn?t have access to anything like modern medicine and could only
communicate over long distances in the time of weeks or months. Even the
poorest person on the planet today can expect to live at least as long as
the richest did through most of human history.

So I?ll finish by saying I do agree with Jackie on this, ?This discussion is
not irrelevant to current real world situations?. Criticism of capitalism,
realism and technology is relevant and in a terrifying way. Just a few days
ago we say groups of protestors at the G20 summit commit to tearing down
capitalism. They supposedly represent the voice of the people. If so then
they are truly the people who are committed to collective suicide.
Capitalism and positivism have brought the automobile, antibiotics,
vaccines, modern surgery, the computer, the telephone, air conditioning,
compact disks, cheap clothing and a food system where we have to worry about
getting fat rather than starving. The system is working unbelievably well if
one just gets a little perspective and a little bit of data.

War is decreasing

Marshall and Cole ?8

(Monty, Research Prof. Public Policy and Dir. Research Center for Global
Policy @ George Mason U., and Benjamin, GMU, Foreign Policy Bulletin: The
Documentary Record of United States Foreign Policy, ?Global Report on
Conflict, Governance and State Fragility 2008?,
doi:10.1017/S1052703608000014)

The global trend in major armed conflict has continued its dramatic decline
in the globalization era both in numbers of states affected by major armed
conflicts and in general magnitude (Figure 3). According to our
calculations, the general magnitude of global warfare has decreased by over
sixty percent since peaking in the mid-1980s, falling by the end of 2007 to
its lowest level since 1960.

So are battle deaths

Russett et al ? 6

(Bruce, (Dean Acheson Prof. IR @ Yale U., Editor of Journal of Conflict
Resolution and Past President of the International Studies Association),
Bethany Lacina, (PhD Student in Political Institutions and Comparative
Politics @ Stanford U.), and Nils Petter Gleditsch, (Adjunct Prof. Pol. Sci.
@ Norwegian U. Science and Technology Center for Study of Civil War and
International Peace Research Institute), International Studies Quarterly,
?The Declining Risk of Death in Battle?, 50:3, Wiley Interscience)

Adjusting the model to allow for a nonlinear temporal trend reveals this
downward tendency even more clearly; the estimated coefficients on a term
for time and its square imply that the trend in battle deaths over time has
been an upside down parabola with an apex in the early 1940s. There are also
negative linear trends in battle deaths in the post-World War period and
after the Cold War.7  We have sounded a note of some optimism about the
international system. The post-World War II international system witnessed a
remarkable decline in the numbers of combat deaths worldwide. This is in
large part due to the decreasing incidence of interstate and Great-Power
wars, the most deadly type of conflict humans have ever faced, and to
decreased casualty levels in civil wars due to less frequent intervention by
major powers. Thus, the success of the post-World War II period has been in
building a historically unprecedented network of peaceful ties among the
most powerful states in the international system.8 The challenge going into
the twenty-first century is to expand these gains into areas still torn by
domestic conflict, terrorism, and interstate feuds.

Poverty is decreasing

Chen and Ravillion ?7

(Shaohua, Senior Statistician in Development Econ. Research Group @ World
Bank, and Martin, Dir. World Bank?s Development Research Group, 2020 FOCUS
BRIEF on the World?s Poor and Hungry People, ?THE CHANGING PROFILE OF
POVERTY IN THE WORLD?, October,
http://www.ifpri.org/2020Chinaconference/pdf/beijingbrief_ravallion2.pdf)

In absolute terms, the number of people in the developing world living on
less than US$1 a day fell from slightly less than 1.5 billion in 1981 to 970
million in 2004, which marks the first time the poverty count has gone below
1 billion (Figure 1a). The choice of poverty line, however, matters. The
number living on less than US$2 a day actually rose by about 100 million
over this period, to 2.5 billion in 2004. As a share of the population,
global US$1-a-day poverty fell from 40 percent in 1981 to 18 percent in
2004, and US$2-a-day poverty fell from 67 percent in 1981 to 48 percent in
2004 (Figure 1b). For both poverty lines, the trend of poverty reduction is
about 0.8 percentage points per year over 1981?2004. This rate exceeds the
rate of poverty reduction of 0.6 percentage points per year that would be
required to halve the 1990 US$1-a-day poverty rate by 2015? the first of the
Millennium Development Goals (MDG1). So, in the aggregate, the world is on
track to achieve MDG1.

So is inequality

Goesling and Baker ?8

(Brian, Mathematica Policy Research Inc. and David, Prof. Ed. And Soc. @
Penn. State U., Research in Social Stratification and Mobility, ?Three faces
of international inequality?, June, 26:183-198, Science Direct)

The left-hand columns of Table 1 show the trend in international income
inequality as measured by the mean logarithmic deviation (MLD). One column
reports estimates with countries weighted by population size, the other with
countries weighted as equal units. The population-weighted estimates show a
sharp decline in the extent of income inequality between countries from 1980
to 2003. Population-weighted inequality declined by more than 16 percent in
the 1980s and by more than 14 percent from 1990 to 2003. These findings are
very similar to those reported in previous studies of inequality trends in
the 1980s and 1990 (Firebaugh, 2003; Sala -i-Martin, 2006). Moreover, our
findings add to previous research by showing that the trend of declining
inequality persisted through the turn of the century. For populationweighted
inequality, the MLD index dropped from .552 in 2000 to .490 in 2003, a
decline of more than 10 percent.

-dylan

--
Dylan Keenan