[eDebate] keenan, "k" and "policy"

J T jtedebate
Sun Apr 12 13:36:37 CDT 2009

I largely agree, but I think the role of the judge in this has been overdetermined for some...by that I mean that not all of us carry such predilictions in deciding these issues.? I've voted for teams on "not my Zizek", but not because I gave presumptive value to what Zizek says, but because the aff. team ALLOWED themselves to be abused by a bad argument!? That is not to say judges can divorce themselves from prior knowldge and biases (some of us are human--although I do believe the Reptilians have infiltrated debate), I think that judges should not give presumptive worth to one side or the other.? I try to look at myself as a critic of argument--I try to evaluate arguments as they are presented.

As for the value of non-specific answers...In general, specificity should be preferred--but I take a more expansive look here:? "specficity" should have equal weight whether it is a hot super-specific card OR a debater making super-specific applications of a more general answer (Zizek hates women) to the specific arg of the K.? APPLICATION of general answers, if done well, should carry the same weight...

Why is this debate not happening in more debate rounds??

W. James Taylor ("JT")

Asst. Debate Coach

Emporia State University

***Nothing in this email should be taken to represent Emporia State Debate or Emporia State University.  The contents are the sole opinion of the author.

--- On Sun, 4/12/09, Josh <jbhdb8 at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Josh <jbhdb8 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [eDebate] keenan, "k" and "policy"
To: "J T" <jtedebate at yahoo.com>
Cc: "Eric Morris" <ermocito at gmail.com>, edebate at ndtceda.com
Date: Sunday, April 12, 2009, 9:49 AM

Hello,
?
This brings up one of the crucially frustrating and perhaps unfair parts of debating author K alternatives.
?
The affirmative reads say 6 specific solvency cards for the the USFG removing ethanol subsidies (or whatever)
?
The negative says link: acting through gov, link: cap system, alternative: overconformity
?
Now, while there is some literature about overcomformity - most people who write either about Zizek or about the plan do not consider the overconformity alternative as a legitimate alternative to the plan and Zizek doesnt really write about the plan.....But because judges consider evidence written by Zizek saying overconformity works not only legit - but proof that its a better/more solvent strategy then the Aff approach game over.

?
In reality, Farmer is right - its about spin and staging both ways....but the negative often has the high ground/advantage because of how judging has evolved vis-a-vis K alternatives.? I have seen teams do massive and meaningful and historical questioning (spin/staging) and seen the judge go "well the neg has a solvency card" and vote neg many times.

?
Farmer is also right that there are similarities between the way judges evaluate policy and K arguments and that both evolve to the most strategically advantageous form for whoever is running them.? Unfortunately, in both cases it might be judge predilection (more than spin or staging) that wins the day.? In both cases, perhaps, it is time for us to think about how we evaluate the assumptive worth of non-specific cards?

?
In other words, if the alternative is not really about the affirmative?(or the CP solvency is not really about the aff) it shouldnt be assumed to have presumptive validity over arguments about why it does not apply or would not work in the particular instance of the plan.

?
Josh
?

?