[eDebate] dylan Agents/States/False Dichotomy - "K" and "policy"

Josh jbhdb8
Mon Apr 13 16:48:14 CDT 2009

I can get into an in-depth evidence pissing contest about this and maybe
Dylan will do this.....Point of fact is that industrial agriculture has
created more food than the world can eat. Almost all starvation occurs
because of failures in distribution, price spikes (easily fixable through
international mechanisms like many of the things IFPRI suggests), and
weather.

But for industrial agriculture your 3 cents a day argument would be about
billions dying for lack of food.

The problem is your analysis is not comparative to the world before the
green revolution.  The best things the world can do for helping hunger are:

1) Create a mechanism to control speculators in food markets
2) Invest in agricultural developments in traditionally poor areas
3) Creat grain banks for weather induced famine
4) Get rid of stupid things like tied food aid and mandatory transportation
contracts

To say that somehow things would be better off without industrial
agriculture you will have to do a much better job,

Josh