[eDebate] What is hunger?

Judson Eldredge eldredge_edebate
Tue Apr 14 17:17:52 CDT 2009

Jackie,

I say this with the utmost respect, but I'm really not feeling you on this one.  I think maybe its better to use the word malnutrition, meaning protien energy malnutrition, the ultimate result of which is death. It is a physical state of being.  No one created it by use of language and regardless what you or anyone calls it, it has existed for thousands of years.  Some of our earliest recorded history deals with the subject of famine. We know from anthropolgy and paleo-pathology that even before recorded history people suffered from malnutrition. No one who "thought they knew what 'nutrition' was" caused it. It is jsut what happenes when you don't take in enough calories to provide the energy the body needs to survive.

Jud

P.S. Your post made me think of a little baby kritik before it grows up, so cute as it tries to reach out with its little links for anything to grab on to. Maybe as it matures it will find something better to link to than someone who, as you say, "wanted to help". If it gets enough to eat that is : )

> From: debate at ou.edu
> To: edebate at ndtceda.com
> Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:54:35 -0500
> Subject: [eDebate] What is hunger?
>

> I am really trying to understand this.
>
> People have lived in places like the Middle East, Africa, China and Asia forever.
> Did the become hungry the day someone who could make a peanut butter sandwich came along and said "you are now hungry!"?
>
> Thousands of years, people living somewhere, and not until someone who thought they were more advanced than them approached them and called them "hungry" were they hungry.
> Even beyond that, absent the gaze of someone who thought they knew what "nutritious" was, were these people "hungry".
>
> Are people "hungry"? Hell yeah! They are now. They were found by someone who was not hungry and wanted to help them.
>
> Peace
>
> Massey

Rediscover Hotmail?: Get e-mail storage that grows with you.