[eDebate] Hunger just is....

Josh jbhdb8
Wed Apr 15 11:46:21 CDT 2009

Can't go a whole spring without disagreeing with Jackie about something:

"There are studies that show how the term "malnourished" has been used to
justify outside intervention, that was not really hooked to need of food,
but desire to bring the green revolution to other areas.  Once hooked on the
tractor, they needed fuel, once they needed to buy fuel to grow, they needed
capitalism.  Locked in, then when out of money and indigenous techniques to
grow their own food like the previous generations they starve, kind like
what you say is hunger."

Those "studies" would be an interesting read given that indigenous
techinques and non-fertilizer based agriculture have NO chance to produce
either the amount of food needed to make sure people meet minimum levels of
food intake OR deal with climate change induced famine.

One of my former students Kenda Cunningham now works for Oxfam and I am
pretty sure she would find the notion that people would be fine but for
getting rid of capitalism and high yield agriculture sadly funny.

This is, however, a perfect example of a K argument that drives more policy
based people insane....Jackie's argument is a very good one about how we
should not use hunger as an advertisement, about how we should leave
indiginous folks alone if they are self-sufficient, and about how not all
people classified as hungry are hungry....This does not make it a reason not
to feed or attempt to feed hungry people....or help farmers in arid areas
get better technology so they can farm more efficiently....or to build a
better system for helping the hungry in weather based or oil spikes based
crisis'

Josh