[eDebate] seeing the forest. . .on our topic 'discussion'

Nicole nicole.colston
Fri Apr 24 20:23:29 CDT 2009

just a little e-debate vent you might say Josh.  or chalk it up to
sharing 'feelings'.  maybe, most accurately, my self-inflicted yearly
e-debate tradition.

i wrote this earlier to someone else about the assumption that i might
believe in "only K debate".  i think? it might also be responsive to
the assumption that "i don't want a topic".  anyhow, i am quite proud
of it, even if some people may disagree. . .

"maybe it isn't a [move to exclusively] "K" debate", but the real evidence
of changes in style and content that we see all the way to the top of
the activity.  my point, perhaps vague, was that these old arguments
of ground/topicality will always exist.  [And that we should consider
the educational implications strongly].
An example of an "alternative" might be [to consider different lines
of analysis, criteria, and methods of rez construction]
1) a topic worded to provide positive ground for
the identity politics debate on both sides, or
2) for the rez to access a
meaningful and real-world point of change, or
3) to consider the authors
which have dominated our critical literature in our verbage, or even
4) to consider changing the way we write resolutions to challenge notions
of agency in debate to provide new and meaningful learning
experiences."

these seem to be 'the' changes in western academic thought that lots
of administrators are looking for.   that is, in the 'debate crisis',
we 'should' consider contemporary rhetorical perspectives, seek
interdisciplinary approaches, and make considerations for safe and
diverse participation for students and coaches.

i haven't read the non-traditional/ taboo topic paper.  but i am
absolutely sure that i support its presence in the selection process .
(do i dare point to as more evidence of said "evolution" in argument
practice i was referring to)

i believe strongly in a key issue approach to resolution analysis and
wording.  i am so terribly interested in others' approaches to the rez
(and debate education in general) that i decided to host a low-cost
camp this summer for debaters and coaches to do just that!

 <<looncall>>  fyi- no turtles will be harmed in the process

josh, i thank you for fleshing this out with me.  i think we might
make good friends, and i appreciate you as a fellow educator.

--
Take a visible stand for peace!