[eDebate] Loons

JP Lacy lacyjp
Sat Apr 25 22:11:55 CDT 2009

Since I've been one representative of the "old guard" on this list, I
figure that I should voice my opinion.

This whole controversy makes no sense to me.

Debate is good.

Promoting debate is good.

No debate is bad. (I stole that from Ross Smith.)

I'll repeat: "No debate is bad."

You can read that statement several ways, but to me it means "Anything
you can do to promote debate is good." & "Absence of debate is worse
than the alternative."

I really don't know how a debate workshop can possibly hurt debate. To
me, it is utterly impossible for any un-learning to take place at a
debate workshop. No-one will be dumber from participating. Many have the
chance to drastically improve their debating. If people want to promote
a particular style of debate & run a successful camp, let them!

"New Strega" is attacking an approach to debate. To what end, I don't know.

I may or may not disagree with "The Call of The Loon's" methods, but in
the end, I know they want debate.

I may or may not disagree with some of "New Strega's" criticisms.

That is beside the point. "New Strega's" ad-homs don't promote debate.
"Donnie's" critiques of others teaching are interesting, but not relevant.

Debate workshops are good, I wish I could attend all of them!

--JP