[eDebate] WDI policy workshop

NEIL BERCH berchnorto
Wed Apr 29 13:04:28 CDT 2009

We've sent numerous debaters to WDI in the past.  We haven't sent any in recent years, and we weren't going to send any this year.  Tuna identifies the number one reason (by far):  the cost had become too much.  It was much more reasonable (and friendly) when Tuna controlled more of the arrangements (there's a lesson about University bureaucracies in there somewhere).  Together with inflation, tightening budgets, etc., WDI became a luxury we could not afford.

I want to take this opportunity to thank Tuna for all that he put into the WDI policy workshops over the years.  And I appreciate all that the various staffs there did for my students.  Even though we weren't going to participate this year, I still think this is a sad day.

--Neil Berch

West Virginia University