[eDebate] Graduation Amendment with a Caveat

Paul Johnson paulj567
Thu Apr 30 18:25:30 CDT 2009

You get 5 years. If two of those years are when you're in an MA program cause you were a baller (and/or needed to save money by graduating early) I have no problem with that. Seems like one thing that gets overlooked when talking about the "take an extra year" phenomenon is how is disparately impacts students on the basis of socioeconomic background. Lots of people feel pressure to finish their undergrad degree in under 4 years, but oftentimes pursuing an MA is a way to be in school without paying for it (because of assistanships etc). This would allow for some of the disparity to be remedied.

PJ