[eDebate] 54th Annual George R. R. Pflaum Debate Tournament Invitation

Samuel Maurer chairman.maurer
Mon Aug 10 16:01:52 CDT 2009

NEW THINGS:

*New Tournament Hotel ? We?ll be using the Guesthouse Inn as our tournament
hotel this year.  We have reserved a block of 35 rooms and can get more if
that fills up quickly (thus, it would help everyone out if you make
reservations quickly).  It?s a bigger hotel than the Holiday Inn or
Fairfield with more accommodations (atrium, bar, etc.).  A few folks who
have stayed there in the past have told me that they very much enjoyed their
stay so I hope others will as well.  Again, if that block fills-up quickly,
I can get plenty of extra rooms so please let me know.

*No Novice Division Initially ? I support novice debate and think watching
someone come in with no previous experience and having them develop is one
of the greatest feelings one can have as a coach.  And it is for that reason
we will not be offering a novice division, at least initially, this year.  In
the past few years, we?ve tried to have a novice division that didn?t make
and was collapsed into JV.  I think this is a terrifying experience for
novices who find out their division is collapsing three days before the
tournament and I feel terrible every year I do it.  Thus, if you have
novices that you would like to bring, let me know by October 5th how many
teams you could field.  If I get enough interest that I?m fairly sure the
novice division will make, I?ll create it.  If you have novices that you
really want to travel, put them in the JV division since that?s seems to be
what happens anyway.  Pending the number of teams that are eligible, we will
also have a novice break-out.

*Alternate Use Time ? Instead of 10 minutes of prep time and 2 Cross-ex?s,
each team will have 16 minutes of alternate use time.

*Challenge Matching in Open Out-rounds ? Instead of a traditional bracket,
open out-rounds will be paired via Challenge Matching.  I will outline a
specific set of rules for this before the tournament but here?s the idea:

1.  All teams participating in the open out-rounds will arrive at the
tournament 1:15 before round start time.

2.  The #1 seed will choose which team they would like to challenge.  They
may challenge any other seed from #2-#16.

3.  Once the pairing for the debate for the #1 seed is determined, a coin
will be flipped to determine sides.  ALL OUT-ROUNDS WILL BE FLIP FOR SIDES ?
pre-lim side constraints do not matter.

4.  Once sides are determined, the #2 seed will challenge any team below
them in seed order (#3-#16), with the exception of the team that was
challenged by the #1 seed.

5.  Flip a coin to determine sides, repeat, etc.

6.  Challenge Matching will ONLY APPLY TO FULL OPEN OUT-ROUNDS.  Does not
apply to any potential open partials.  Does not apply to JV and Novice
out-rounds.

I?ll send another post to edebate about the rationale for Challenge
Matching.

Dear Community,

 On behalf of Emporia State University, the Department of Communication and
Theatre, and Hornet Debate, it is my privilege to invite you to the
54th Annual George R. R. Pflaum Debate Tournament in Emporia, KS. The
tournament will be held October 18th through the 20th, 2008 with
Registration at one of the tournament hotels, Holiday Inn Express, on
October 18th.

 We are pleased to be offering 6 rounds of debate in Open, Junior Varsity
and novice divisions. We know many prefer an 8 round format, however, we
believe that a 6 round format encourages wellness (and sleep). Final round
schedule will depend on entries and facilities. We will make every effort
to keep divisions separate, but again, divisions are entry dependent.
A final schedule will follow closer to the tournament date.

 We believe we offer a fine slate of competition in the Midwest tradition,
as well as great hospitality, as some of you who have been here before can
attest. We will continue that hospitality and then some.

 We do hope you will join us here in October to help celebrate our
tournament.

Sincerely,

Sam Maurer
Director of Debate
smaurer at emporia.edu
(620) 341-5705 office
(509) 270-1507 cell

James Taylor
Assistant Director of Debate

LODGING INFORMATION - MAKE RESERVATIONS SOON.

TOURNAMENT HOTELS ? Tournament hotels ? We have block reservations made at
the Guesthouse Inn, the Holiday Inn, and the Candlewood Suites.  All of
these hotels are at the intersection of I-35 and Industrial Rd so they are
all in roughly the same area and there are many places to dine in close
proximity.  DO NOT SMOKE IN ROOMS: they charge you $250 PER DAY if they
think you smoked in a room at the Fairfield.
All blocks close on September 16th.  Please make sure to make your
reservations in a timely manner.  As mentioned before, we?re trying to
encourage people to stay in the Guesthouse Inn as the central tournament
hotel (but we will deliver pairings in the morning to all three).  The rate
for all three hotels is $79 per night.  All tournament blocks are reserved
under the Emporia Debate Tournament.

The Guesthouse Inn - 2700 W 18th Ave Emporia, KS 66801 (620) 341-9199

The Holiday Inn Express - 2921 W 18th Avenue (620) 341-9393 $79.00

 The Candlewood Suites - 2602 CANDLEWOOD DRIVE (620)-343-7756

NOTE: If the block fills-up at both hotels, please let me know and I can
speak with the managers about getting more rooms at the block rate.  Please
make your reservations soon, however, as I cannot get extra rooms the week
of the tournament.

TOURNAMENT INFORMATION

TRANSPORTATION: Emporia is located at the major highway junction of I-335
and I-35. Those of you driving will have little trouble finding the
University or the hotel, as both are located within two blocks of
I-35. For those of you flying, the Emporia airport does have shuttle
service to KCI, but you will find flying into Kansas City
International Airport the cheapest option.  If notified in advance,
ESU can provide transportation for teams flying into KCI free of cost.
 We would like to see more regional diversity at our tournament so we
will provide this service free of cost.  Please let us know ASAP if
you want a lift.

GUIDELINES: The Pflaum will abide by all relevant CEDA guidelines on sexual
harassment and debater eligibility.

TOPIC: We will use the 2009-10 CEDA/NDT topic.

TIMES: 9-3-6 with 16 minutes of alternate use time.

DIVISIONS: We will offer Junior Varsity and Open levels of
competition, eligibility by CEDA guidelines. We reserve the right to
collapse
divisions if entries warrant. We will try to preserve novice as a primary
concern.

AWARDS: will be awarded to the top 10 speakers in all divisions that
warrant, more if the numbers are there, less if not. Suitable awards will
be given to all out round participants.

SMOKING: ESU is a minimal smoking campus, smoking is allowed 25ft away
from buildings, we ask your help in enforcing this policy as well as
being aware of the mess smoking creates outside of buildings.

ELIMINATION ROUNDS: Will be held as per the CEDA formula, we anticipate at
least quarters in all divisions, octos in open.  If teams are forced
to go maverick because of extenuating circumstances, they will be
allowed to debate but not to clear.

ENTRY FEES: $85 per policy team.

JUDGING GUIDELINES: Each team is expected to provide one qualified judge
for every two teams entered. One team will equal a half commitment (3
rounds). Fees for uncovered teams will be $100, of course we would rather
have your judges than your money. We reserve the right to limit entries
based on available judges from any school. We do not have any judges
available locally for hire at this time (except JT who might be spoken for
already). We encourage you to post to edebate to get folks to come out of
the woodwork. If you have judges for hire, please let us know ASAP, and we
will get them hooked up with folks. Each judge is expected to render a
decision before the start time of the next round, in a timely manner, with
ONE team given the win. ALL JUDGES ARE OBLIGATED THROUGH THE FIRST
ELIM ROUND OR ONE ROUND PAST THE ELIMINATION OF THEIR SQUAD, Please abide by
that rule.

If you would like to hire judges through the tournament (e.g. you pay
us, we pay the judge, what you pay the judge goes on your receipt) let
me know and we can make arrangements.

ENTRIES: We support the Brushke site, and entry ability should be up this
evening. Deadline for Entries is Wednesday, January 9th, please send them
in early so we can plan food.

Get your entries in ASAP.

ANTICIPATED SCHEDULE

Friday, October 17th
7 p.m. - 9 p.m. Registration, Holiday Inn Express (pairings may be released
at 10 p.m. or so for 1 and 2)

Saturday, October 17th
8 a.m. Pairing released (Holiday Inn Express, if not Friday)

9 a.m. ROUND ONE (Preset)

11:30 LUNCH (Lakeview cafeteria)

1 p.m. ROUND TWO (Preset)

4 p.m. ROUND THREE (Powered)

Sunday, October 18th
8 a.m. Pairings released (Holiday Inn Express)

9 a.m. ROUND FOUR (Powered)

11:30 LUNCH (Skyline cafeteria)

1 p.m. ROUND FIVE (Powered)

4 p.m. ROUND SIX (Powered)

7 p.m. Partials if necessary ? Seeding Released

Monday, October 19th
7:30 a.m. Pairing released for all except Open

 7:45 a.m. Challenge Pairing and Coin Flips on Campus in the MU Ballroom

9:00 a.m. Elim Round I

10:30 or ASAP Awards Assembly.

ASAP - remaining Elim rounds.

--