[eDebate] Wake Shirley Tournament Dates 11/20 - 11/23

JP Lacy lacyjp
Fri Aug 14 23:08:15 CDT 2009

We will hold the 2009 Franklin R. Shirley Classic on Friday, November
20, 2009 through Monday, November 23, 2009, with prelim debates on
Saturday & Sunday, & elims on Monday the 23rd.

I hope you all can be there!

The Shirley is the first time of the year that tons of us can be
together: So, we're definitely planning a memorial & celebration of the
life of Ross Smith.

The tournament won't be the same without Ross, but we will run on time,
there will be coffee, Krispy Kreme, bagels, scouting & a Survivor's Party.

Full invitation, schedule & hotel details will be available as soon as
we work out the details.

We will maintain the same entry limitations as last year:

Entries of two teams per school will be accepted until the entry
deadline on a first come, first served basis until we have reached our
150 team limit (this limit is necessary due to classroom and other
facility limitations). [Last year, our entry deadline was about 3 weeks
before the tournament. I plan to maintain a workable deadline that gives
squads time to enter while giving 3rd & 4th teams enough time to qualify.]

Schools may apply for more teams by adding them to the waitlist subject
to the following:
As space permits, we will take additional teams, up to a total of four
teams per school, as long as ALL THREE OR FOUR teams have cleared to
elims in TWO varsity tournaments this fall. If both debaters on the team
EITHER cleared twice this fall OR qualified for NDT in the past OR
reached elimination rounds at CEDA Nationals in the past, the team is
considered to have met the "cleared twice" requirement. No fourth team
from a school will be accepted until all eligible third teams from other
schools have been accepted.

Many of you have questions about how many preliminary debates we plan to
hold. We haven't decided yet. Please feel free to share your thoughts
with me or any other member of the Wake staff!

See y'all soon!

-- JP Lacy
lacyjp at wfu.edu