[eDebate] Vermont Debate Coaches for 2009-10

Alfred C Snider alfred.snider
Mon Aug 24 06:47:32 CDT 2009

The Lawrence Debate Union at the University of Vermont is proud to
announce their coaching staff for 2009-10.

Stephen Boyle will join us from University College Dublin and specialize
in coaching our worlds team. Stephen will also teach two classes each
semester. Stephen was Irish Times champion, octafinalist and
quarterfinalist at worlds, and won the Yale and Hart House tournaments.
He will need a heavy coat.

David Register will return as a coach and will focus mainly on policy
debate.  He teaches full time. Last summer he was in Europe and taught
at the World Schools Debate Academy as well as working in German
schools. He just recently completed the East Debate Institute policy
session. He has several heavy coats.

Alfred Snider will return for his 27th year as the director. Now with
Stephen on board he will spend more time on policy debate (while
continuing with worlds) as well as continuing his international outreach
work and his string of plots.  He has promised to pull most of the
administrative burden as well. He doesn't really need a coat because of
built-in insulation.

Ruth Zisman will also be returning as a coach. Ruth is a doctoral
student in philosophy at New York University and while her duties at NYU
will be substantial she will be coming to some tournaments as well as
adding her strong stock of ideas to the UVM strategy kit.  This summer
Ruth studied in Berlin and also taught at the World Schools Debate
Academy, as well as working at the East Debate Institute policy session
and joining us this week at EDI worlds. Her ideas keep everybody warm.

We are pleased to announce that others will be joining us as coaches and
judges, including but not limited to:

Carina Berg, who will assist with and judge policy debate.

Sam Ricker, who will assist with and judge worlds debate.

And many more alumni, supporters and friends from around the world.
After all, it takes a global village to make the Lawrence Debate Union.

We also want to congratulate our alumna Megan Harlow the new Bard policy
coach as well as alumni Chris Latucca who will be coaching for the
University of Rochester.

Let the debates begin.

Tuna

--