[eDebate] Congrats to Richard Tews, new DOD at UNI!!

omar guevara oguevara
Tue Aug 4 16:31:10 CDT 2009

It is with a very happy heart that I send "congo-rats" to Richard M. Tews, the new Director of Debate at the University of Northern Iowa.

Richard has served 5 years as the Assistant Director of Forensics at Weber State (the longest serving ADOF in the 89 year history of the program).  He took a chance on Weber State when times were very, very hard for us. He not only showed courage assuming the risk, but he did with excellence and grace. Richard has a deep intuitive understanding of this simple concept that seems to elude so many 'smart people' in our community: "You can't CHASE success, you have to BUILD it."  I never had to sell him on the virtue of patience; if anything, he reminded me of it.

I will miss you Rich.  Because of your contributions, you are leaving WSU Debate stronger than when you found it: organizationally more sound, politically more astute, financially more stable, and perhaps most importantly, more humane...and just.  Thank you for helping restore WSU Debate's reputation, and Weber State's faith in intercollegiate debate.

I am sure the University of Northern Iowa will be a good home for you.  But Ogden will miss you.

And Veronica and I will miss you too.

Alot.

Adios mi amigo,

Omar, WSU Debate, and Weber State University

Omar G Guevara II
Director of Forensics
Department of Communication
College of Arts & Humanities