[eDebate] Opencaselist

J T jtedebate
Thu Aug 27 12:39:01 CDT 2009

I think full text of cards may not be the best approach...
1. assumes all cards are scanned/OCR-ed or from electronic sources--not true.? While the transition to all-electronic is certainly advancing, not everyone is one board

2. it's too easy--people would have zero incentive to read the actual book or article...so many would just copy and paste the card.? I don't think anyone gains a bit of education under that process.? I also do not know what you mean by "smart labor".? If this means efficiency, then education outweighs efficiency in my book (although not mutually exclusive in all cases).? Sure, some people mindlessly replicate the exact card from the wiki now--However, at least some coaches express the importance of situating X card in the context of the article to their debaters--as well as the importance of reading the full article.? Efficiency is important for a number of reasons, but I think a balance of more complete citations is sufficient.

W. James Taylor ("JT")

Clinical Instructor

Asst. Debate Coach

Emporia State University

***Nothing in this email should be taken to represent Emporia State Debate or Emporia State University.  The contents are the sole opinion of the author.

--- On Thu, 8/27/09, Michael Antonucci <antonucci23 at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Michael Antonucci <antonucci23 at gmail.com>
Subject: [eDebate] Opencaselist
To: "College Debate Listserv" <edebate at ndtceda.com>
Date: Thursday, August 27, 2009, 10:17 AM

I've never heard a coherent argument against a norm to post full text instead of first and last words.? This feature of the current system seems designed? to generate inefficiencies through almost petulant opacity.? (FINE, I'll give you the card, but I'll make it harder for you to find - HAHAHAHA!)

If you think that this sort of info sharing is generally bad, I strongly disagree, but I respect your position.?

If you think that we should share but deliberately increase raw labor - not smart labor - I wish that you would explain further, because I'm just baffled by the half-life of this convention.? From an evolutionary perspective, it seems vestigial.

I mention this now because people are complaining about errors, improper citations and slow turnaround.? While some individuals are probably lazy, it makes more sense to view this problem as systemic.

--
Michael Antonucci

Debate Coach
Georgetown University