[eDebate] Graduate Teaching/Coaching Positions at CSU Chico - Fall 2009 - Deadline for Apps is March 1

Sue Peterson bk2nocal
Wed Feb 11 15:19:32 CST 2009

CSU Chico is looking for a few good graduate students for Fall 2009 to both
teach and coach in our forensics and public speaking programs.  We will have
AT LEAST two positions available with the team for next year and a number of
teaching assistantships with the public speaking program that could
transition into positions with the team the second year in the program.
Chico's forensics program offers both NDT/CEDA debate and AFA Individual
Events and we are looking for people to help with both sides of the
program.  Our travel is primarily within the state of California with one or
two tournaments out-of-state each semester depending on student abilities,
availability of national competition in California, etc.

Our program has a long history of success in both policy debate and
individual events, but we are in a state of rebuilding the program after a
year hiatus two years ago.  We have a young team where someone who is
interested in contributing to competitive success can really make a
meaningful contribution.  We have a healthy budget despite the recent
economic conditions in California and I see no looming threats to the budget
in the upcoming years.

The Department of Communication Studies offers coursework in Rhetoric,
Communication Theory & Philosophy, Political Communication, Intercultural
Communication, Interpersonal Communication and Organizational
Communication.  Our faculty has  a number of newly minted PhDs who are eager
to work with graduate students and who are doing exciting research and they
are very supportive of the Speech and Debate team.

Teaching Assistants receive a teaching stipend that is amongst the highest
for MA programs in the nation and we have produced graduates who have gone
on to successfully complete PhD programs, receive tenure track teaching
positions at Community Colleges, as well as professional positions at both
for-profit and non-profit businesses throughout California.  The program
offers either a thesis or a comprehensive exam track for completing the
degree.

The application deadline for Fall admission is March 1, 2009 and information
on the application process is available at
http://www.csuchico.edu/cmas/cmst/masters/application.php

Please check it out and if you have any questions, get in touch with me.
Chico is a great town with a reasonable cost of living - something you don't
often find in California!

Thanks,

Sue Peterson, Director of Speech and Debate at CSU Chico

sepeterson at csuchico.edu
530-898-4771

"Girl Effect, n. The powerful social and economic change brought about when
girls have the opportunity to participate in their society."
http://www.girleffect.org/#/home/