[eDebate] Harvard HST -- Final Results

David Glass gacggc
Tue Feb 17 13:08:35 CST 2009

People might be interested to remember that one of the main arguments run
by that Bronx team back then (...and I think their win was 1983, and
that in '84 they lost in finals to Lake Braddock... though I'm not
certain whether or not I'm off by a year) was the "New Right" disad.

The thesis was that there was this rising Moral Majority, and that if you passed
the aff, you'd cause the New Right to backlash, and then these Right wing
crazy people would take power and destroy the earth.

So, ok, you may argue that the main thesis was flawed, and that it should not
have argued that it was good to back down just to avoid the Right
Wing's ire; but
it does seem that the internal link and impact story were dead-on.

Bronx wasn't the only team to run the argument, but it was definitely
Rabin's favorite disad for a year...

...and then there was  the climate disad, run in the 1970s on the
world resources topic... everyone thought that was bs as well