[eDebate] Miami Debate Team Eliminated

Darren Elliott delliott
Thu Feb 26 16:39:35 CST 2009

Wow!  I hated reading this.  Makes me ill to my stomach honestly.  I will ask all members of the CEDA Executive to write letters and will include one myself.  Additionally I will ask a couple College level Administrators (peers of the folks you list below) to do the same.  Hope we can help.

chief

Darren Elliott
Director of Debate and Forensics--KCKCC
CEDA President

>>> Sarah Spring <spring.sarah at gmail.com> 02/26/09 12:34 PM >>>
I have received some bad news today, Miami University (Ohio) has made
the initial steps in cutting all funding for their policy debate
program. This holds a lot of personal significance for me, but I think
it is a very bad omen in general for the debate community. While the
situation there has been deteriorating for a bit, I think the
financial situation everywhere has the possibility of making debate
budgets more vulnerable.

It is in the best interest of all of our jobs and teams and families
and the community that we proactively work to fend off this danger.

I don't know if the Miami program can be saved, but I would like it to
at least go down fighting. In this vein, I'm getting together a number
of alumni to write in support of the program and its value to Miami.
While these people have personal experience with the team itself, I
think some outside letters to the administration could be helpful.

A few quick facts, Miami is a long time participant in the NDT,
attending 19 times from 1976 to  2009. Miami is the only squad other
than Westpoint to host the NDT twice. The debate team is one of the
oldest student organizations and was founded around 1909.

The team is currently funded through the department of communication
which has also eliminated its graduate program meaning no graduate
assistants which have been a major part of the coaching at Miami. The
department and the school, I assume, has decided to eliminate all
debate coaching positions and the team's budget for the foreseeable
future. The problem is, once these things are gone, they are very
difficult to restart.

If you could help me by writing a letter of support for the program to
any or all of the following persons, expressing the value of debate
and the value of the program, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Sarah Spring

David Hodge

President

Office of the President,

Roudebush Hall, 213A

Oxford, OH 45056

1 513 529 2346

hodgedc at muohio.edu

Jeffrey Herbst

Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs

209 Roudebush Hall

Oxford, Ohio 45056

513-529-6721

herbstj at MUOHIO.EDU

Karen Schilling

Dean, College of Arts and Science

143 Upham Hall

Oxford, OH 45056

(513) 529-1234

schillk at muohio.edu

Barbara Jones,

Vice President of the Division of Student Affairs

111 Warfield Hall

Oxford, OH 45056

513 529 4631

jonesb2 at muohio.edu