[eDebate] Miami Debate Team Eliminated

omar guevara oguevara
Thu Feb 26 16:49:48 CST 2009

Miami University of Ohio a bulwark of District V.

Hosted two NDTs (1989, 1992).

Cleared teams to the elims of the NDT (2003, 2004).

Graduated dozens of MA students who went onto leadership position in academic forensics.  Including me - my life would be much less happier if I had not spent a couple years in Oxford.

While programs come and go for a combination of intrnal and external factors, those listening closely should remember...

There is nothing scarier that an educational administrator with a self-righteous budget axe to swing.

Program solidarity now more than ever...or the zombies are going to get us all one by one...

OG

Omar G Guevara II
Director of Forensics
Department of Communication
College of Arts & Humanities
Weber State University
Ogden, Utah

801.626.6220 (Office)
801.668.6910 (Cell)

Oguevara at hotmail.com
Oguevara at weber.edu

PLEASE VISIT: WWW.WEBERDEBATE.COM

> Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 16:39:35 -0600
> From: delliott at kckcc.edu
> To: spring.sarah at gmail.com; edebate at ndtceda.com
> Subject: Re: [eDebate] Miami Debate Team Eliminated
>
> Wow! I hated reading this. Makes me ill to my stomach honestly. I will ask all members of the CEDA Executive to write letters and will include one myself. Additionally I will ask a couple College level Administrators (peers of the folks you list below) to do the same. Hope we can help.
>
> chief
>
> Darren Elliott
> Director of Debate and Forensics--KCKCC
> CEDA President

> I have received some bad news today, Miami University (Ohio) has made
> the initial steps in cutting all funding for their policy debate
> program. This holds a lot of personal significance for me, but I think
> it is a very bad omen in general for the debate community. While the
> situation there has been deteriorating for a bit, I think the
> financial situation everywhere has the possibility of making debate
> budgets more vulnerable.
>
> It is in the best interest of all of our jobs and teams and families
> and the community that we proactively work to fend off this danger.
>
> I don't know if the Miami program can be saved, but I would like it to
> at least go down fighting. In this vein, I'm getting together a number
> of alumni to write in support of the program and its value to Miami.
> While these people have personal experience with the team itself, I
> think some outside letters to the administration could be helpful.
>
> A few quick facts, Miami is a long time participant in the NDT,
> attending 19 times from 1976 to 2009. Miami is the only squad other
> than Westpoint to host the NDT twice. The debate team is one of the
> oldest student organizations and was founded around 1909.
>
> The team is currently funded through the department of communication
> which has also eliminated its graduate program meaning no graduate
> assistants which have been a major part of the coaching at Miami. The
> department and the school, I assume, has decided to eliminate all
> debate coaching positions and the team's budget for the foreseeable
> future. The problem is, once these things are gone, they are very
> difficult to restart.
>
> If you could help me by writing a letter of support for the program to
> any or all of the following persons, expressing the value of debate
> and the value of the program, I would appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,
> Sarah Spring
>
> David Hodge
>
> President
>
> Office of the President,
>
> Roudebush Hall, 213A
>
> Oxford, OH 45056
>
> 1 513 529 2346
>
> hodgedc at muohio.edu
>

> Jeffrey Herbst
>
> Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
>
> 209 Roudebush Hall

> [...]

Access your email online and on the go with Windows Live Hotmail.
http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_AE_Access_022009