[eDebate] Fwd: Miami Debate Team Eliminated

Gordon Stables stables
Thu Feb 26 22:07:49 CST 2009

I am forwarding Sarah's original email to ceda-l and asking for input
from folks on both lists.

The leadership of CEDA and the NDT are working together to provide a
coordinated response to the Miami administration. I applaud the
efforts of individuals to reach out to administrators and positively
convey the importance of debate. We also need folks who are familiar
with the university and department to help tailor our response. If you
are in such a position or know of someone who is, please have them
contact me.

I would also reinforce Justin Green's prescient call from earlier this
semester. In this economic climate, even programs with strong
institutional support for the activity will experience very difficult
decisions. If you see that your university is considering a
substantial reduction in support, please reach out to the
organizations and local community as soon as possible. No one has a
magic solution here, but we need to do our best to explain the values
of keeping the activity central to university life, even if budgets
decline.

I know we will be having a larger conversation on this subject this
spring, but in the interim please take the time to support this
program.

Thanks
Gordon

Gordon Stables, Ph.D.