[eDebate] UNT Tournament Welcomes Denton's own Trebuchet

Lain, Brian blain
Sat Jan 3 08:20:45 CST 2009

Colleagues, friends, and family,

We here at UNT often have the pleasure of enjoying your wonderful hospitality as we visit many of your campuses.  We truly feel that our opportunity to say thank you comes only once a year when we get to host many of you.  One of our challenges as a squad is visiting another town and city and trying to experience a little bit of what makes that locale unique, special, and exciting.

Every tournament has its landmark goodies, things that are treats for the participants.  We at UNT have always tried to integrate the town of Denton and the larger University of North Texas into our college tournament, whether it was using UNT art students as consultants and designers on the trophies we give out or hosting a super-smorgasbord luncheon featuring no less than 30 Denton restaurants for tournament participants.

One of the things that characterizes Denton is its truly fabulous music scene.  Because of the UNT College of Music, Denton is home to at least 100 bands and has produced superstars which grace the likes of classical symphonies and Guitar Hero playlists alike (and I don't just mean Don Henley from the Eagles, but he is an Alum).  Just this past summer, the New York Times Music section did a review of Denton applauding the burgeoning music scene noting its Indie flavor  (http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/05/11/travel/11cultured.html<http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/05/11/travel/11cultured.html>#).  And Paste Magazine named Denton the "Best Music Scene for 2008" (http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2008/11/signs-of-life-2008-best-music-scene---denton-texas.html).  These reviews often comment on Denton's live scene and the many bands that make it a dynamic experience.

In an ever-evolving attempt to bring the debate community the best of Denton, we are proud to announce that UNT debate will host Denton's own TrebucheT for your listening pleasure at the Holiday Inn January 8th, 2009 (after the final round).  TrebucheT often plays Andy's bar, Dan's Silverleaf and Rubber Gloves if you are in town before or after the tournament.  For more on the band and a sampling of some of their music, you can visit   http://www.myspace.com/trebuchetband.  There is a brief video of them playing Ur Moms Bar on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xleTFTuEeAM).

We will host a reception in the Holliday Inn ballroom after the final round which will feature TrebucheT (although, there may still be special guests).  There will be time to name a champion, grab a bit, and then come and kick back with friends in the Holiday Inn.  Frankly we wanted to do something, and most people hate banquets and using a guest suite was never big enough for us.  A concert seemed the logical alternative.  Drinks, food, and a great live band will be included, please come and join us.

This won't take the place of our usual reception after the double-ocatfinals on Wednesday.  That will still happen as well.  All in all, we look forward to hosting everyone and hope to make this a memorable experience, its just our way of saying, "Thank you."

-Brian and all of UNT debate