[eDebate] World Championship Debate Vdeos now available

Alfred Snider alfred.snider
Mon Jan 5 08:55:45 CST 2009

Here are videos of some debates from the recently completed World
Universities Debating Championships held in Cork, Ireland. 308 teams
entered. 32 teams cleared, and 10 of those were from the USA (highest of
any country). It was a truly amazing experience with parties,
breakfasts, lunches, dinners, singing, dancing and most of all debating
-- 9 prelims and then 4 elims with 4 teams in each debate.

For those of you who are wondering what this format is like, check out
these debates. A topic is announced and they have 15 minutes to prepare
by themselves with no coaching from anyone and no Internet. This format
of debating is growing quickly in the USA.

If you would like to try it for yourself you should plan to attend the
United States Universities Debating Championship to be held at the
University of Vermont 3-5 April 2009. Registration opens January 14,
there is no team cap, and we are expecting a very large draw. We will
have judge and debater training before the tournament begins. We wil
have meals, parties, and some awesome debates on our beautiful campus.
Air connections are easy to Burlington, Vermont (BTV). Find out more at
this website or send me an email
http://debate.uvm.edu/debateblog/usu/Welcome.html

 From Ireland, we have:

Final round: This House would ban abortion at all stages of pregnancy.
(Oh, those Irish!)
http://debatevideoblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/wudc-finals-2009-ban-abortion-at-all.html
Monash University (Australia), Harvard University (USA), Oxford A &
Oxford C (UK)

If you would like a different sort of motion, try the quarterfinal
round: This House believes that the ICC should prosecute crimes against
the democratic process.
http://debatevideoblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/wudc-quarterfinals-icc-prosecute-crimes.html
University College Dublin (Ireland), Nottingham University, Oxford A &
Oxford C (UK)

If you want to see a debate about war, check out the octafinal debate
on: This House would arm militias to fight against the Taliban in
Afghanistan.
http://debatevideoblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/wudc-octafinals-arm-militias-against.html
Brandeis (USA), Nottngham (UK), Monash (Australia), University College
Dublin (Ireland)

--
Alfred C. Snider aka Tuna
Edwin Lawrence Professor of Forensics