[eDebate] Harker tournament registration now open (March 6-8)

Carol Green carolg
Wed Jan 14 14:19:44 CST 2009

Tournament information can be found at:
http://www.joyoftournaments.com/ca/harker/info.asp?p=1

Policy judges interested in being hired should contact Scott Phillips at
scottp at harker.org

Lincoln-Douglas judges interested in being hired should contact Adam Nelson
at adamn at harker.org

9 th Annual Harker Invitational
The Howard & Diana Nichols TOC Qualifying Tournament at the Semifinals Level
in Public Forum and Lincoln-Douglas Debate as well as Top 6 Qualifier in
Student Congressional Debate
March 6-8, 2009, San Jose, CA. ?
Beak and Talon Public Forum Round Robin begins March 8th.
 ?
Dear Colleagues:

On Friday, March 6 through Sunday, March 8, The Harker School will host the
9th Annual Harker Invitational - a national debate tournament that offers
Lincoln-Douglas, Public Forum, Policy, and Student Congressional Debate. We
are happy to announce that Lincoln-Douglas and Public Forum debate
semifinalists will receive a TOC-qualifying leg. Top Six finalists in
Student Congressional Debate will also receive a TOC-qualifying leg.

We will offer one division of Public Forum, Lincoln-Douglas, Policy, and
Student Congress. Top non-advancing novice entries in Public Forum and
Policy will compete in separate novice elimination rounds. There will also
be recognition for top novice speakers in Public Forum and Policy debate.
Please make sure to note any novice entries when registering.

The Harker School is located in San Jose, California, just 10 minutes from
nearby San Jose International Airport and 35 minutes from San Francisco
International. We offer a very competitive tournament, good food, and a fine
set of awards, viz., speaker awards for both LD and Public Forum debaters,
and elimination round trophies for all events.

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1.   Scheduling has been planned to give teams flexibility in travel and to
allow for local teams to compete in respective events. Public Forum will be
held Friday and Saturday while Student Congress will be held on Sunday.
Students may double enter in Public Forum and Student Congress.
Lincoln-Douglas and Policy will be held Friday through Sunday as in previous
years.
2.    We are excited to announce that judges in Lincoln-Douglas Debate will
be assigned on the basis of mutual preference. Please see the judging
information page for details
3.    With travel costs on the rise, and with the understanding that the
educational experience in improved by a diversity of competition, we are
pleased to announce that entry and judging fees will be waived for the first
Public Forum and Policy team from each school attending the tournament from
out-of-state.

We will once again offer a limited number of complimentary student housing
spaces for competitors traveling from out of state to the tournament. Sign
up early as these spaces fill up quickly. Student housing requests must be
received no later than February 20th and may close early if spaces fill up.

Additional information can be received by emailing the coaching staff at
forensics at harker.org or by calling the respective directors below.

We look forward to seeing you on the West Coast this spring. We will do our
best to make your stay with us as enjoyable as possible. If you are a team
with financial other logistical concerns, please contact us as soon as
possible so we can attempt to make your entry possible.

Sincerely,

Carol Green
Director of Public Forum, Student Congress,
Individual Events, and Model UN
carolg at harker.org
408.345.9655

Adam Nelson
Director of Lincoln-Douglas and Mock Trial
adamn at harker.org
408.345.9235

Scott Phillips
Director of Policy Debate