[eDebate] Job Opening: Director of Debate - University of Florida

Marissa Silber luvmarissa
Sat Jan 17 13:50:17 CST 2009

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have about the position.
Marissa Silber

University of Florida

Dial Center for Written
& Oral Communication

Position Vacancy

Director of Debate/Speech Lecturer

Position:
Full time faculty position with benefits. This will be an annual
renewable term contract position.
Master?s degree required for appointment.  Position begins Fall semester, 2009.

Duties & Responsibilities:  Individual will be responsible for directing the policy debate
program, coaching and traveling with the debaters to regional and national
tournaments, coordinating duties for debate graduate assistant/s, hosting the
annual Gator Invitational Debate Tournament, establishing recruiting
initiatives, organizing research efforts for the team, and perform some minor
administrative duties.  Teaching duties
will include 3-6 credits/semester from such courses as: Argumentation, Public
Speaking, Speaking & Writing in the Disciplines (Prelaw, Public Leadership,
Political Science), selected upper division oral and/or written communication
courses, and other courses in the candidate?s area of specialty.  Summer school teaching for additional
compensation is possible pending funding.
Participation in Center projects and involvement in college-wide
activities is also expected.

Selection Criteria:

1.  Must demonstrate excellence in classroom
teaching.  Graduate assistantships or
adjunct teaching appointments are appropriate.

2.  Must demonstrate preparation and experience
in teaching public speaking or other related oral or written communication
courses.

3.  Must demonstrate ability to coach college
level policy debate.

4.  Must possess Master?s degree in Speech
Communication or related field (for example: Journalism, English, Political
Science, Law, etc) completed by August 16, 2009.

Salary & Benefits: Salary is dependent on qualification
and level of experience. UF provides several retirement plan choices and a
health insurance package with a family coverage option for a nominal fee. Also
offered are a variety of supplemental plans. Additionally, after 6 months of
employment, the Employee Education Program is available for those interested in
pursuing additional graduate work. This program covers tuition for many courses
offered at UF.

The UF Speech & Debate Team:
The 30+ member integrated Speech and Debate team at UF shares an annual
travel budget averaging $37,000 each year.
This financial support comes from several sources including student
activities fees, administration, and a very supportive group of alumni.  At present there are no scholarships
available to our students and, because we are funded in part by UF?s student
government, we are a walk-on team.
However, students from high school programs continue to seek us out and
on average there are four active policy teams on the squad.  The team travels extensively during the academic
year to regional and national tournaments.
The team is associated with the following organizations: NDT, CEDA, and
AFA-NIET.  For more information see
http://www.cwoc.ufl.edu/debate/.

The Dial Center:
13 full-time and 15 part-time faculty or graduate teaching/coaching
assistants.  Five faculty members
comprise our writing division while the remainder teach courses in oral
communication.  While no major currently
exists in our program, we do offer a minor in Communication Studies and teach
over 1200 students each semester who are required to take our courses for their
varied majors.  For more information
regarding the Center, go to our webpage at www.cwoc.ufl.edu.

Deadlines:
Applications will be accepted until March 1, 2009. File review will begin
immediately.

Application:
Refer to jobs.ufl.edu, position #00007018, for required on-line application.
Then, send letter of application, resume, transcripts and three letters of
recommendation to:

                                    Kellie W.
Roberts, Director

                                    University of Florida