[eDebate] Judge at the Harvard HS Tournament!

Eli Anders anders.debate
Wed Jan 21 15:09:57 CST 2009

Hello!  The Harvard Debate Council seeks judges for the 35th Annual
HarvardNational Invitational Forensics
Tournament, to be held February 14-16, 2009 (the Saturday - Monday of
President's Day Weekend).  Details about the tournament are available at
www.harvard-debate.org.   Please check the schedule (
http://harvard-debate.org/view_schedule.aspx) of the event you would like to
judge to determine your availability prior to contacting us.

We seek judges for the following events:

*(1) Policy / Team / Cross-Examination Debate.  *

This year, there will be two divisions: Varsity, with 7 preliminary rounds,
and Junior Varsity with 6.  To judge in this event, you must have
participated in policy debate either as a competitor or a judge at the high
school or college level, and be approved by the tournament directors.

Compensation:

If you are available to judge only a few rounds, we will hire you for
$15/round judged.  Judges who commit to being available for all 7 Varsity
prelims (or all 6 JV prelims plus JV Doubles on Sunday night) will be paid
$150.  We have a special need for judging Monday morning for the Varsity
Doubles/JV Octas, so judges who commit to being available for all of the
prelims plus the first elim Monday morning will be paid $200.  All payment
is on the condition that you show up on time for each of your rounds, fill
in ballots correctly, hand ballots in promptly, and do not in otherwise
impede the tournament's administration.

If you are especially qualified and would like to judge elimination rounds
on Monday, we may be able to work out a special compensation package for
you.  Housing is limited and only available to extremely qualified judges
who can judge all preliminary rounds and several early outrounds.

*(2) Junior Varsity Lincoln Douglas Debate.  *We offer 6 preliminary rounds
of JV LD on Saturday and Sunday, as well as the Triple Octafinals on Sunday
evening.  To judge in this event, you must have participated in LD either as
a competitor or as a judge at the high school level.

Compensation is $15/round judged.  You must show up to pick up your ballot
30 minutes before the scheduled start time of each round you are judging.  If
you are especially qualified, and the tournament directors determine there
is a need, we may request that you judge Varsity LD and not JV LD.  At this
time, however, we seek only individuals who are willing to judge JV LD.

*(3) Public Forum Debate.  *We offer 6 preliminary rounds of PF on Saturday
and Sunday.  *No prior experience in debate is necessary*.  We are hiring a
limited number of PF judges.   Compensation is $15/round judged.  For more
information about Public Forum Debate (its format, how it is judged, etc.),
please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_forum_debate and http://www.
harvard-debate.org/downloads/HHS2004/Download_20.doc.

If you are interested, please send an email to
harvardhsdebate at gmail.comwith the following information:

Subject:  JUDGE FOR (event that you are interested in judging:  CX, JVLD,
PF)

1.  Name
2.  Email
3.  Cell Phone Number
4.  Event (CX, JVLD, PF)
5.  Rounds you would be available to judge (consult schedule at http://www.
harvard-debate.org/view_schedule.aspx.  Note that each event has a different
schedule, so you should put down which preliminary rounds for your preferred
event you are available to judge.)
6.  Relevant experience (both high school and college participation and
judging experience)
7.  High schools you cannot judge due to conflicts (participating school
list available at http://www.harvard-debate.org/view_files.aspx)

We will send confirmation emails upon receipt of your application, with more
information to follow.

If you have any questions, feel free to email us at
harvardhsdebate at gmail.com.

Also, please feel free to forward this email to any and all interested
parties.

Thank you,

Eli Anders

Harvard Debate Council