[eDebate] The system I intend to use for first-round balloting

repkowil at msu.edu repkowil
Thu Jan 29 16:06:21 CST 2009

  *
  *
  *

A few people have asked about the ?system? that I intend to use for determining the first-rounds.

Attached is a document that explains the system that I intend to use this year.

A few caveats:

1.??????? It uses data from last year ? so as to avoid the appearance that I may be trying to sway the upcoming vote.

2.??????? I was not a voter last year ? so if you didn?t care for how you finished in last year?s balloting, this document had nothing to do with that.

3.??????? I am not entirely wed to this system ?for 2008-9 voting ? I am posting (in part) b/c I believe that this system can be tweaked and improved upon. Gordon Stables, in particular, has a more advanced system for calculating the impact of regional tourneys that ? frankly ? is more advanced than I comprehend. I would be open to non-bombastic critiques of this system that are designed to improve the quality of my voting.

4.??????? My other motivation in posting is transparency. If School A wants to know the damn system that I intend to use, I think they have a reasonable right to know. I can envision this decreasing the ?shock? of finding out that you narrowly missed. I can envision this even helping schools to roughly ?know where they stand? heading into the closing tourneys of the 2008-9 campaign.

5.??????? This document excludes data (from 2007-8) for MSU teams.

6.??????? I think the two strengths of this system are that:

a)??????? It weights wins and losses. Losing 5 times to the Copeland Winner is ? in fact ? different than losing 5 times to ?an applicant?.

b)?????? It weights wins and losses of non-applicants. Each year -- for a host of reasons ? some competitive teams do not apply. Wins or losses to those teams should, in my opinion, still be considered in an applicant's resume.

7.??????? Nothing in this post means that I intend to divulge the precise breakdown of how I vote for first-rounds in 2008-9.

8.??????? I intend to use a different system for second-round balloting. That system involves ?weighting? wins and losses, but places more emphasis on the applicants results against teams that have qualified for the NDT.

The rest is attached.

Best,

Will