[eDebate] Help Iraq Debate

Alfred Snider alfred.snider
Thu Jul 2 08:52:11 CDT 2009

Hello supporters of debating.

I am working with some Iraq debaters to promote debating in Iraq. I feel
a special burden to assist our brave brothers and sister in Iraq to try
and improve their society through debate. It is easy for us to take for
granted the debating communities we have, but we should not foret about
others for which it is not so easy.

The spearhead for this is Muhammad Duhoki who has organized a group
called Iraq Debate. Muhammad received training in Korea from Jason
Jarvis and others at the Asian Debate Institute and at the Korea
Development Institute. Muhammad has been back in Iraq for a while now
and is acting very vigorously to train debaters and create debating
networks. He took a group to Qatar recently for a competition and the
Iraqis did quite well. He is also coming to the Serbian Debate Camp to
be held later this month.

http://www.iraqdebate.org/

Iraq Debate has several teams now registered to attend the World
Universities Debating Championships to be held in December-January in
Antalya, Turkey. He has teams and enthusiasm and some financial support,
but he is just a bit short and the time draws near to pay up or drop out.

If you would like to help Iraq Debate it would be greatly apprciated. I
have personally made a financial commitment of $300 and will help
sponsor them. I chalenge you to do as much if not more. If you would
like to find out how you can donate, please email him for details at
muhammad at iraqdebate.org

We need to act soon and they need our help now in order to attend worlds.

Future projects involve a debate workshop in Iraq featuring instruction
in Arabic, Kurdish and English to be held in the fall. Muhammad and I
will be reporting more on this in the future.

Hee is some text from their website.

"Mission:

1. Iraq Debate?s mission is to promote debate culture among Iraqis,
especially Students across the universities and schools, to provide them
with the modern concepts of analysis and communication skills so that
they can meet the challenges which face Iraq. Iraq's challenges and
diversity means that it can and should be a leader in Debate Education
and Research.
2. Promoting the value of Education.
3. Showing Iraq's unique cultures and civilization to the world.
4. Promoting a sense of community.
5. Promoting Peace through dialogue and understanding."

--
Alfred C. Snider aka Tuna
Edwin Lawrence Professor of Forensics