[eDebate] Does the Debate community not care about limits anymore?

nicholas brady nicholas.brady89
Sun Jul 26 16:10:10 CDT 2009

Resolved: The United States Federal Government should substantially reduce
the size of its nuclear weapons arsenal, and/or substantially reduce and
restrict the role and/or missions of its nuclear weapons arsenal.
With two "and/or" phrases in the resolution, I honestly am wondering if the
community has no regards for limits anymore. I never really cared about
limits because there is
absolutely no way to control what people do (evidence of this can be
seen in the recent success of performative/untopical debate), but I
never thought the community would
actually vote down limits. Basically there are three seperate areas of this
resolution (size, role, and mission) and you can choose anything within
these three areas or any combination of the three. That is one wide-open
topic! So I am asking the debate community, was this a conscious decision to
say "fuck limits" or is this the unfortunate consequence of wanting to deal
with the seperate issues at hand?

Nicholas Brady
Johns Hopkins class of 2011
Africana Studies and Philosophy Double-Major
BSU Vice President
Co-Founder of Sowing Roots Mentoring Program
"I put on for my City"
"My emancipation does not fit your equation"
"The whole process which has brought about these race differentiations has
been a growth, and the great characteristic of this growth has been the
differentiation of spiritual and mental differences between great races of
mankind and the integration of physical differences.?
-Dubois