[eDebate] Clarion University Debate Tournament

James Lyle jrlyle
Fri Jul 31 11:52:48 CDT 2009

July 31, 2009

Dear Colleague:

Clarion University would like to invite you to the third annual Clarion
University Autumn Debate Tournament on September 25-27, 2009. This
tournament is sanctioned by the American Debate Association and the Cross
Examination Debate Association and adheres to the rules of each organization
including sexual harassment policies. The preliminary rounds will be Friday
and Saturday with the elimination rounds on Sunday. We will have three
divisions of debate, Open, Junior Varsity, and Novice.

We will be using the Comfort Inn as our tournament hotel, which has agreed
to provide a rate of 69.99/night. The Comfort Inn has high-speed internet
and provides a continental breakfast.

Fees will be the following: $25.00 per person and a $15.00 fee for each team
entered. If fees are an issue, please contact us and we will do our best to
help with constraints.

We look forward to seeing you this fall. And, if you need some incentives to
come:

1. We will offer Open, JV, and Novice divisions with the appropriate number
of out-rounds as per ADA/CEDA rules.
2. We will be providing lunch on both Saturday and Sunday and will maintain
a hospitality room with drinks and snacks during the course of the
tournament.

3. A Saturday evening dinner banquet.

4. Traveling Trophies ? We will be awarding traveling trophies to the
champion in each division, in addition to a permanent award for those
schools.

5. The Autumn Leaf Festival ? The annual festival begins on Sunday with a
car show and more importantly the availability of uber-healthy carnival food
such as an assortment of things that should not be deep fried but are
super-tasty.

6. Northwest PA ? The changing of the leaves make for quite the scenery.

We look forward to seeing you in September.

Sincerely,

Jim Lyle
Director of Debate
Phone: 814-393-2476
Fax: 814-393-1623
Email: jlyle at clarion.edu<http://www.ndtceda.com/mailman/listinfo/edebate>

 IMPORTANT INFORMATION

REGISTRATION

The entry deadline will be September 23, 2009 at 3:00 pm, but we would like
to have at least an expected party count by Friday the 18th to assist with
catering planning. You may email your entry but I would prefer that you use
the online entry system (www.debateresults.com). There will be a morning
registration from 11:00am to 1:30 pm at the Comfort Inn. Afternoon
registration will take place on campus (location TBA) between 2:00 and 3:00
pm.

HOUSING

 The tournament hotel is the Comfort Inn with a rate of $69.99/night. The
block ends on August 25th. The contact information for the Comfort Inn is:
129 Dolby St., Clarion, PA 16214, (814) 226-5230. Note: rooms are available
after the 25th at the same rate but the block reverts back to general public
availability. While this may seem to be of marginal importance given the
normal frequency of travelers to Clarion, but the Autumn Leaf Festival
begins on September 27th and will make it much harder to get rooms after the
block closes.

Other hotels in the area have reasonable rooms and rates, and probably can
offer a ?Clarion University rate? if you ask.  If you need to use a
different hotel, let Jim Lyle know and I may be able to assist with rates.

JUDGES

Each school is responsible for providing a qualified judge for your
obligations. One judge will cover up to 2 teams, 2 judges - 4 teams, etc.
There is a limited amount available judging available for hire through the
tournament at a rate of $100.00 per uncovered team. The number of available
judges for hire from the tournament is limited so let me know ASAP if
judging is needed and we will do what we can.

DIVISIONS

Separate elimination rounds will be held for teams in Open, Junior Varsity
and Novice. See ADA and CEDA rules for definitions.

FORMAT

We will use the 2009-2010 CEDA/NDT/ADA debate topic. We will offer 6 rounds
of preliminary competition and clear up to half the field in each division
into the elimination rounds. Open/JV/Novice will use the 9-3-6 format with
10 minutes of preparation time. Rounds 1 and 2 will be random; rounds 3-6
will be power-matched. Round 4 will be lag-paired off the first 2 rounds.
Hybrids are allowed and may clear to the elimination rounds if they receive
approval from the Tournament Director at least one week prior to the start
of the tournament.

AWARDS

Awards will be given to the top 10 speakers in each division and for teams
in each division from the quarterfinals on. We reserve the right to give
additional awards.

FEES

Entry fees are $25 per person, and $15 team. A person is defined as anyone
associated with a program. Fees are due at registration. If you are a small
program and have financial constraints, please contact us and we can make
arrangements to overcome financial barriers.

We reserve the right to charge a fee for dropped persons after the deadline.
The late drop fee would be $20/person.

TAB

Will be run by Mike Davis of James Madison University

FURTHER INFORMATION

For further information, contact me at: Jim Lyle, Director of Debate,
Department of Communication, Clarion University, 840 Wood St., Clarion, PA,
16214, or through email (jlyle at
clarion.edu<http://www.ndtceda.com/mailman/listinfo/edebate>),
or via phone (814-393-2476).

If we have further information to get to you, we will do so as soon as we
can via www.ndtceda.com.

Tournament Schedule

Friday, September 25
11:00 Registration (at hotel)