[eDebate] Topic Three is problematic to me

Guido Randazzo luaghingagain
Tue Jul 7 12:03:25 CDT 2009

I think I am in favor of resolution #3, although admittedly I haven't done
much research into the specific wordings (i.e. all our "disarmament
commitments").

At first glance, however, resolution #1 is unappealing. It seems very vague.
The disarmament pillar of the NPT seems like the most obvious example, but
is it the only? Is there a list? I don't really know.

My greater concern is that it is overly limiting. Would taking our weapons
off hair trigger alert be consistent with our *disarmament* commitment?
Would no-first use? Would CTBT? I don't understand how it could, seeing as
how those policies are not disarmament policies (since they don't decrease
the number of nukes). I think those are important affs to have; to have a
nuclear weapons topic that can't discuss Declaratory Policy/Operational
Policy seems like a waste.

However it is also broad. For example, if we stop researching nanotech
nuclear triggers or hafnium bombs, we've become more consistent with our
disarmament commitments. The weapons possibly considered nuclear that the
U.S. has and is developing is rather large. To me, this resolution makes
these affs T. I believe both resolution #2 and #3 solve this concern.

My reading of resolution #2 solves some of these concerns. It allows changes
in declaratory policy (no first use, etc.) but does not allow changes in
Operational policy. Admittedly I am also confused by the two "and/or"
splices. It seems very confusingly worded.

I don't completely get some of the objections to resolution #3. First, the
list does not seem like a random hodge-podge at all. Ratification of CTBT is
advocated by pretty much everyone who favors nuclear disarm. Adoption of
declaratory policies are also huge parts of the lit (No first use, etc.).
Same with operational readiness. All of this stuff is super-duper related,
since its all about nuclear weapons. Moreover, most people who talk in the
context of reducing our nukes talk in the context of doing it with Russia.
To not allow the aff to do this would be lame.

For the aff's under res #3 the advantage areas for all the affs are pretty
much the same. Prolif advantage, accidental launch, terrorists stole my
nukes, I mean the list is not very long. This is in large part where the
generic ground comes from. The generic ground is pretty similar for all the
affs -- for instance,  almost every DA against a substantial unilateral
reduction is a DA against reducing along with Russia. Many DAs (i.e. "allied
prolif") apply to all the affs. There is obviously an absurd number of CPs,
most of them with highly similar themes/actions, to all the affs. I don't
think there is a case that has nothing to do with the rest of the cases. Of
course there will certainly be Black Swan cases that we simply can't
predict, but resolution #3 is no more vulnerable to that than resolution #1
or 2.

Uniqueness problems with Russia? Perhaps. I have seen at least 10 articles
that say "if we go any lower than what we just agreed to, we're in big
trouble." And there's always the uniqueness CP and the unilat CP. In my mind
there's a big difference in capping the number of nukes at 1600 and capping
the number of nukes at less than 1,000, and I believe there is plenty of ev
in the lit to back that up.

I'm not worried about the number of affs when I'm neg any more than I'm
worried about the obscene number of neg positions when I'm aff. That being
said I support resolution 3.

Nick Brown
Vandy Debate