[eDebate] 2009 Ulrich Debate Tournament Invitation -

Katherine Lavelle lenehan20
Fri Jul 10 15:58:57 CDT 2009

July 10, 2009

Dear Colleagues: The University of Northern Iowa is pleased to invite you and your students to our annual Ulrich Season Opener Debate Tournament. As usual, we will offer 8 rounds of competition in open and JV, as well as a novice workshop and 4-6 rounds of competition. We will also develop a comprehensive case list available throughout the tournament on the open case list. We hope that you and your squad will join us in Cedar Falls from September 19-21, 2009.

You will find many of our traditional amenities at the UNI tournament this year, including:
-Breakfast all three days
-Centralized competition buildings
-Free parking on campus and at the tournament hotel
-Free wireless at the Ramada Inn and on campus
-Out rounds held at the tournament hotel. You will be a skywalk away from your rooms, at a rate of $79.00 per night for double rooms.

Two aspects of the tournament of our tournament will be different this year. First, we will be providing lunch on Sunday. Second, due to a variety of considerations, we are extending the start time between rounds by 15 minutes (see tournament schedule below). We will have ballot runners and tables at each building, and hope that this change will help students and coaches with preparation for rounds.

Please join us for the Ulrich this September. Our squad looks forward to hosting you and your program on our campus. Please contact me via email or phone if you have any questions. Please direct all email questions to uniforensics at gmail.com I will be on campus regularly starting August 14.

All the best,

Kate

Dr. Katherine L. Lavelle
Director of Forensics
(319) 273-7200
katherine.lavelle at uni.edu or uniforensics at gmail.com

LOGISTICS!!

UNI HOTEL INFORMATION: The Tournament Hotel for the UNI tournament will be the Ramada Inn and Convention Center, at 4th and Commercial in Waterloo (just a 15 minute drive to UNI). There is free wireless internet access at the tournament hotel and convention center. Registration for the debate tournament (Friday, September 18) and release of debate pairings each morning will occur at the Ramada Inn. Please contact the Ramada Inn directly for reservations: (319) 233-7560. When making reservations SPEAK ONLY to the front desk manager or assistant manager. They are available Monday 8am-5pm, Tuesday through Friday 8am-10pm, and Saturday 6 am-2pm. If they are not available leave a detailed voicemail message and they will return your call ASAP. If there are problems, ask to speak to Sandy Thomas, the director of sales and marketing. The tournament rate is a flat $79.00 per room. When you call, tell them you are attending the ?UNI Season Opener? Debate Tournament.

The hotel is only guaranteeing the availability of our block through September 11. Please plan on staying at the Ramada, as we need to use the block of rooms to maintain affordable access to the Convention Center (which helps keep our costs low). For questions about the Ramada's tax exemption policy please call the Ramada and ask for Sandy Thomas. For more information on the Ramada or for driving directions please visit their website: www.ramadawaterloo.com (please do NOT use the web site or the Ramada 800 number to make reservations?it will only create confusion). If you have to consolidate or drop rooms, please let Sandy Thomas know ASAP, so that other teams are able to use those rooms in our block. If you have any trouble with the hotel, please let Kate Lavelle know. Sandy Thomas is our primary contact at the Ramada Inn and is happy to help you solve any issues that may arise. Feel free to contact her directly at (319) 236-9502 or via email: sthomas at ramadawaterloo.com.

ENTRY INFORMATION As in past years we will be offering an open, junior varsity, and novice division in policy debate. Given any viability for a novice-only division, we will not collapse the novice and JV divisions. We also will be offering a flexible novice workshop during rounds 1-4. For those who need a little help, they will workshop for rounds 1-2, and then have 6 rounds of debate. For those who want a little more help, they will workshop for rounds 1-4, and then have 4 rounds of debate. As in the past, we anticipate compiling an exhaustive list of each school's affirmative and negative arguments, and distributing a printed or electronic copy of the case list to each school attending the tournament, with a preliminary list distributed along with pairings on day 2. We are delighted to again start the season by using the joint CEDA-NDT policy topic.

The time limits will be 9-3-6, with 10 minutes of preparation time per team.

Deadline: The entry deadline is Wednesday, September 16, at 4:00 pm, CST. Use the Bruschke webpage: http://commweb.fullerton.edu/jbruschke/web/index.aspx Fees: This year the registration fee will be $85.00 per team.

When you register ? please indicate the number of vegetarians, vegans, or other dietary needs of your squad. We will be pre-ordering the food, so we want to be able to get an accurate count on your menu needs.

Judging: Each school is expected to provide qualified judges to accompany their teams. Each school is responsible for providing four rounds of judging for each team entered. All judges are committed through the second elimination round, or one round beyond when their team is eliminated (whichever happens later). Judges should be able to cover a school's commitment despite potential scheduling constraints (for example, a judge committed for 8 rounds who restricts him/herself to the JV division is not mathematically useful for all 8 rounds and will not count as an 8 round judge). We don't have a very large pool of hired judges that are available in Cedar Falls/Waterloo, so please try to find someone rather than hiring from us. If you do need to hire a judge, the fee will be $100.00 per team. If you must hire a judge from us, please give us at least two week's advance notice to try to locate someone. If you have extra judges available from your school, please let us know--we will almost certainly hire them for as many rounds as they want to work. We are open to using a mutually preferred judging system, but that is contingent on the size and flexibility of our judging pool.

Regardless, preference sheets will be available at the tournament registration on Friday night. We will make every effort to have strikes go into effect in round one, and guarantee that they will be in effect by round three. Preferences will take effect in round 4. All judges at the tournament are expected to render a decision where they indicate one, and only one, team that won the round (did the better job of debating). Judges' ballots not adhering to this principle will be "corrected" by the tab room through use of a coin flip. No round will take longer than 2 hours and 30 minutes from the reading of the 1AC until the judge signs the ballot.

Elimination rounds: We WILL clear half of the field in each division, as long as those teams have (at least) a .500 record. In order for this to work, all judges must be committed through the first two elimination debates and available to judge during partials. Depending on the number of rounds in partials, we may hold the first elim round on Sunday night instead of Monday morning. We will let the tournament know when the first elim round will be as soon as we have a clear idea of the number of teams breaking. We will not break brackets in elimination rounds. We plan on using side equalization in elimination rounds.

Awards: Awards will be provided to all teams participating in the elimination rounds, and to the top speakers in each division. Unusual situations: We believe in maximizing the competitive opportunities for eligible students. Thus, if two schools each have an extra debater, we would allow a combined team from two institutions to compete in the preliminary rounds of the tournament, and would allow those individuals to be eligible to receive speaker awards and advance to elimination rounds according to CEDA rules for hybrid teams.

UNI IS SMOKE FREE ? We are a smoke free campus. This means in addition to no smoking in the building, you may not smoke on the campus grounds. We will have signs up by the doors to remind you of the regulation, as well as providing directions to the nearest legal smoking area. We appreciate participants following the regulations last year, and hope to continue such excellent behavior this year. Lang Hall is close to the edge of campus.

UNI Transportation Information

By Air: Waterloo/Cedar Falls is served by Northwest Airline. If you don't mind small prop jets, this airport might offer the best rates. The Cedar Rapids airport is approximately an hour from Cedar Falls, offering jet service by most major carriers. Other airports used by tournament participants in the past have included Des Moines, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Moline, IL, and Chicago.

Ground Transportation: If you are flying, we encourage you to make van or mini-van reservations early. Due to on-campus regulations regarding university vehicles, we will not be able to provide local transportation. However, the area taxis operate at reasonable rates, and many of the local hotels offer airport transportation. By Car: From Chicago, take the Northwest Tollway (I-90) to U.S. 20. From Central Illinois or the Quad Cities, take I-80 to I-380 to U.S. 20. From Des Moines, take I35 North to US20 East. From Minnesota, take I35 to U.S. 218 south. Parking: Parking at the structure across the street from the Ramada is free, and you should have no problem parking on-campus on Saturday or Sunday.

UNI Team Policy Debate Schedule:

Friday, September 19

7:00 - 10:00 p.m. Registration and Coaches Reception, Ramada Inn Waterloo.

Saturday, September 20

7:00 a.m. Pairings Released, Rounds 1 & 2, Ramada Inn Waterloo & electronically on Edebate

7:30 a.m. Continental Breakfast, UNI Campus, LANG HALL

8:00 a.m. Round 1 Required Starting Time

10:45 a.m. Round 2 Required Starting Time All Round 1 ballots should be in.

1:30 p.m. Lunch, All Round 2 ballots should be in

2:45 p.m. Round 3 Required Starting Time

5:30 p.m. Round 4 Required Starting Time, All Round 3 ballots should be in.

8:00 p.m. All Round 4 ballots should be in

Sunday, September 21

7:00 a.m. Pairings Released, Rounds 5 & 6, Ramada Inn Waterloo, Edebate release

7:30 a.m. Continental Breakfast, UNI Campus, LANG HALL

8:00 a.m. Round 5 Required Starting time

10:45 a.m. Round 6 Required Starting time, All Round 5 ballots should be in

1:30 p.m. Lunch. All Round 6 ballots should be in

2:45 p.m. Round 7 Required Starting Time

5:00 p.m. All ballots should be in from Round 7. Pairings Released, ASAP.

6:45 p.m. Round 8 Required Starting Time

9:15 p.m. All ballots should be turned into tab. POTENTIALLY first partial debate

A list of teams participating in elimination rounds and the judges and standby judges will be posted at the Ramada Inn Waterloo and on Edebate as soon as possible after the conclusion of Round 8.

Monday, September 22 -- We have adhered to the following general elimination round schedule, pretty much forever:

7:00 a.m. Pairings Released, Ramada Inn Waterloo, side-equalization con-flip

7:30 a.m. Continental Breakfast, Waterloo Convention Center

8:00 a.m. First Elimination Round Required Starting Time, Waterloo Convention Center

11:00 a.m. Speaker awards, awards for first elimination round

Noon Second Elimination Round Required Starting Time

3:00 p.m. Third Elimination Round Required Starting Time

6:00 p.m. Fourth Elimination Round Required Starting Time

9:00 p.m. Final Elimination Round Required Starting Time

REMINDER: We will be using Lang Hall as the tournament headquarters location. We appreciate the efforts people made during the tournament to protect this space. Once again we ask that tournament participants DO NOT MOVE THE TECHNOLOGY CARTS IN LANG HALL, TOUCH THE CARTS, OR PLACE FOOD AND DRINK NEAR THESE CARTS. Our squad will cover the carts on Friday night and remove them on Sunday night. If there is damage to the carts, the UNI Forensics team must pay for the damages out of our travel budget.

Eligibility Requirements: Open: Any undergraduate student meeting AFA eligibility requirements (don?t forget?those rules have recently changed, consult the AFA web site for more information) may participate in the Open Division. 8 preliminary rounds, and elimination rounds occur as described above.

Junior Varsity and Novice: These divisions will be restricted to students meeting CEDA eligibility requirements. If folks are interested, we will have a novice workshop during the first 2-4 rounds, and then novice debates during rounds 3 or 5-8.

Windows Live? Hotmail?: Spread the word when you add celeb photos to your e-mails. Check it out.
http://www.windowslive.com/Online/Hotmail/Campaign/QuickAdd?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_QA_HM_celebrity_photos1_072009&cat=celebrity