[eDebate] 2009 GSU College Tournament Invitation

Kuswa, Kevin kkuswa
Fri Jul 17 12:50:34 CDT 2009

Good post, Vik.  Something to consider.  Wayne, UNI, Ceda Nats, and NJDDT are all 8 prelims as well-thanks for the info from everyone.

kevin

From: edebate-bounces at ndtceda.com [mailto:edebate-bounces at ndtceda.com] On Behalf Of V I Keenan
Sent: Friday, July 17, 2009 12:32 PM
To: EDEBATE
Subject: Re: [eDebate] 2009 GSU College Tournament Invitation

on a related note to Kevin's post ...

If 7 rounds becomes the norm, doesn't that functionally increase the minimum number of tournaments that an individual debater would need to attend in order to be eligible to participate in the District Qualifier?  Previously, a debater could attend 4 8-round tournaments and be eligible, but if there are not four such tournaments, that results in a 5th tournament. (This is not a hypothetical - Wake and NW's changes last year AFTER we had budgeted our schedule resulted in such a calculation problem).

Not all students debate every weekend.  Many work or have other commitments or simply have balance in their lives.  Not all programs are focused on "open" debate (In the hybrid discussion I keep hearing that those "lone" debaters at emerging programs should just pull up an unsuspecting novice for Districts ... because clearly emerging programs have the money to now attend an extra tournament at minimum).  Sometimes there is an odd number of open debaters, or rotating partnerships, or someone studying abroad, and the 32 round rule exists for those circumstances.   Just because students make these choices they should not be precluded from the last regional tournament they have access to in the year (the District Qualifier). Functionally requiring an increase in the number of tournaments individual students need to attend at a minimum will be the "hidden" expense on top of a world of rising travel costs.

If folks are on board with the 7 round norm then it might be worth reevaluating the round commitment requirements in the NDT standing rules to reflect current tournament structures, assuming the same logic of tournament attendance still applies.  Just a thought.

-VIK

Vik Keenan
Director - Baruch Debate, CUNY
Assoc. Director - New York Coalition of Colleges
212/992-9641 or 347/683-6894