[eDebate] Sad News

Duane Hyland privethedge
Thu Jun 4 07:21:56 CDT 2009

Rank Harrison was a good friend to Mansfield Univeristy's debate team when we still had a program - he and Coach Watts are good friends, and everytime I talked to him I thought he was one of the nicest people in this community. The former MU debaters will miss him a lot, and his loss is very sad indeed.
?
Duane

"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that person that he, if he had the power, would be in silencing mankind? If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth; if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by??its collision with error." John S. Mill
?
President Barack Obama: "So explain to me exactly what this National Geospatial...uh..." (Politico5/29/09)? Boy..do I feel safe......

--- On Wed, 6/3/09, Jarrod Atchison <jarrod.atchison at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Jarrod Atchison <jarrod.atchison at gmail.com>
Subject: [eDebate] Sad News
To: edebate at www.ndtceda.com
Date: Wednesday, June 3, 2009, 10:39 PM

It is with great sadness that I write to let the debate community know that Frank Harrison passed away Monday, June 1, at his home in Galveston, TX. Frank was the Director of Debate at Trinity University for twenty years. During that time he was a tremendous coach, teacher, and friend to countless debaters both at Trinity University and within the debate community at large. At the 1961 National Debate Tournament, Frank was third speaker and final round participant for King's College. He later earned a degree from Harvard Law and served as a United States Representative for the state of Pennsylvania. Debate, however, was his passion. He was the 2003 Dr. Lucy M. Keele Award winner, chair of the National Debate Tournament committee, and host of the 1991 National Debate Tournament. Although he had success coaching throughout the nation, his heart was always with the American Debate Association where he served in almost every official capacity including
 president. There are already articles being written on his tenure in Congress (like the two below), but I hope that we will be vigilant in reminding the world that Frank Harrison was first and foremost a director of debate and that in that role he was one of our best.

Sincerely,

Jarrod Atchison

http://www.citizensvoice.com/articles/2009/06/03/news/doc4a26fc39911f1177769059.txt

http://lulacpoliticaletter.blogspot.com/2009/06/lulac-edition-837-june-3rd-2009.html