[eDebate] FW: Condolences

Katherine Lavelle lenehan20
Thu Jun 4 13:39:56 CDT 2009

I share the debate community's sadness with the loss of Frank Harrison. When I was in my first year of coaching at Miami University, Frank was always very supportive of my efforts to transition from debater to coach. I clearly remember pacing the halls at the Clarion ADA, and Frank offered kind words for my coaching abilities, as well as our team's performance. This support continued as I was out on the job market. Frank was convinced that I needed to be a director somewhere.

While it is important to have support from your coaches and directors, having individuals in the community support future coaches is just as important. I appreciate Frank's efforts over the years, and hope that he is in a more peaceful place. I send my condolences to his family, close friends, and students who benefited from his wonderful spirit over the years.

Katherine L. Lavelle
Director of Forensics
University of Northern Iowa

You must strive to find your own voice. Because the longer you wait to begin, the less likely you are to find it at all. Thoreau said, "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation." Don't be resigned to that. Break out! ? Mr. Keating, Tom Schulman Dead Poets Society

From: berchnorto at msn.com
To: edebate at ndtceda.com; daisy_verney at hotmail.com
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 10:45:20 -0400
Subject: Re: [eDebate] Condolences

Indeed, even though Frank hadn't been doing that well for a while, I'm overwhelmed with sadness.  Three memories:
1.  When we established a small tournament in memory of my late predecessor, John Jacobsohn, Frank insisted on attending, and he dragged his team from San Antonio to Morgantown to honor the memory of his friend.
2.  While Frank was so helpful to me as a new coach who had never debated, we quickly found that we were on opposite sides of virtually every issue facing the debate community.  Frank never let that interfere with our friendship.  Despite his very strong opinions, he always discussed these issues with respect and good humor.  And I remember one incredibly lengthy and contentious ADA Business meeting that Frank chaired.  After 10 hours, I realized that even though he held strong opinions on virtually every issue that had been discussed, it would have been impossible to determine from the meeting just what his opinions were.  He was scrupulously fair.
3.  Finally, a word about Frank's brief congressional career (a story that I tell in American Politics classes to illustrate the power of pork barrel representation).  Frank's long-time predecessor (not his immediate predecessor but the person who held the seat for decades) was much-beloved in the district, in large part due to his ability to secure federal funds (particularly after natural disasters).  He was so beloved that he continued to have electoral success even after federal prosecutors went after him (Gary Trudeau did a week's worth of Doonesbury strips on him).  When this gentleman (a conservative Democrat) had to leave office due to the scandal, his seat was captured by a Republican.  Frank (another conservative Democrat) then captured the seat in the next election.  During his single term in office, a major flood hit the district.  At the time of the flood, Frank was on a Congressional trip to South America and couldn't get back immediately due to travel difficulties.  His opponent in the upcoming election got great (and somewhat unfair) mileage out of contrasting Frank with the long-time congressman who was great at getting money for the district, and this helped to lead to the end of Congressman Harrison's brief career.  I knew the first part of the story (about the long-time congressman) from the historical record.  The second part of the story (about Frank and his defeat) came from a reliable source, Frank himself (and I heard him tell it multiple times).  And he always told the story with good humor.  He claimed he only objected to one thing about his opponent's characterization of Frank sitting at poolside in South America, sipping martinis while the district suffered from the flood.  "Everyone knew," Frank would protest, "that I only drank white wine."

I believe I'll raise a glass of Chardonay (however you spell that) in Frank's memory tonight.

--Neil Berch
West Virginia University