[eDebate] smoking iran editorial -- financial times

michael hester uwgdebate
Fri Jun 19 19:53:13 CDT 2009

1) the article you cut and paste is not an editorial from Financial Times as
your subject line claims. the opening quote is from the Financial Times, not
the author of the article you copied.  it's web article from James Petras
that has been cut and pasted from rense.com (the date gave it away - that's
how Rense does its articles)

2) this is not to disqualify James Petras. although rense pretty much
"publishes" anyone on its site (sorta like edebate, in that respect), Petras
is a widely published academic with his own website (
http://petras.lahaine.org/). he's very consistent - marxist tendencies,
hater of US imperialism, definitely bothered by Israel. it's not shocking
that he'd defend Ahmahdinejad against the West. i'm pretty sure that's worth
bonus points toward tenure & promotion at Berkeley. it doesn't make his
article wrong, just noting that this isn't exactly hot news.

3) when one filters out all the anti-imperialism tangents, the article you
copied actually only responds to a single warrant that has been brought up
as evidence of electoral fraud - voting in the Azeri province. unfortunately
for Petras (and those who think this article is "smokin'"), he misses the
actual substance of that evidence, mistakenly explaining how Ahmahdinejad
racked up rural votes to offset bougie city slickers duped by coca-cola and
blue jeans (or whatever is deemed capitalist these days) and western
analysts are exaggerating ethnicity over class. but the abnormality cited as
evidence of fraud is that Ahmadinejad won the city of Tabriz in that
province, something Petras doesn't even mention, let alone refute. again,
Petras may be 110% correct about how the West is messed up, but his article
supposedly exposing the "fraud hoax" is actually boilerplate lefty
anti-Zionism that answers ONLY ONE of the items cited as evidence of fraud,
and does so in a way that doesn't really answer the evidence that has been
cited.

4) a recent essay from Juan Cole -
http://juancole.com/2009/06/stealing-iranian-election.html - provides a fair
summary of the things being cited as evidence of fraud. (one need not defend
juan cole as a legit source to accept that this is a decent laundry list of
what the fraud folks are citing as evidence, so no need to waste time
discussing whether cole is just part of the evil cabal). in support of the
notion that one need not be a toady for the US War Machine to believe that
Petras is missing so caught up in blaming the big bad imperialists that he
misses the larger point, here's a response from Isabel Rodr?guez - hardly a
spokeswoman for the jackbooted thugs of capitalism -
http://axisoflogic.com/artman/publish/Article_56080.shtml

hester