[eDebate] smoking iran editorial -- financial times

michael hester uwgdebate
Tue Jun 23 20:19:42 CDT 2009

1) i'm doing my best to properly respect this conversation, reading all the
linked articles and really trying to understand all the various
perspectives. (i'm also swamped at work) thus, my responses are sometimes a
bit delayed.

2) my entry into this debate was a criticism of the petras article, not a
defense of western media or moussavi, dismissing the claims (implied and
otherwise) made by petras that ahmadinejad is innocent and its only Western
press that are corrupt and biased.  my claim for shallowness is just that:
petras, without any personal experience in Iran, *assumes* that any
challenge to the Supreme Leader's premature sign-off on election results
which don't match previous elections (something that petras was factually
wrong about) must be wrong because the West is saying it as a fraudulent
outcome. imo, he makes the same mistake of which he condemns dupes of
imperialism. keep in mind, Iranian State TV is reporting that officials are
admitting fraud, just dickering over how much occurred:

"Iran's Guardian Council has admitted that the number of votes collected in
50 cities surpass the number of those eligible to cast ballot in those
areas. The council's Spokesman Abbas-Ali Kadkhodaei, who was speaking on the
Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB) Channel 2 on Sunday, made the
remarks in response to complaints filed by Mohsen Rezaei -- a defeated
candidate in the June 12 Presidential election. "Statistics provided by
Mohsen Rezaei in which he claims more than 100% of those eligible have cast
their ballot in 170 cities are not accurate -- the incident has happened in
only 50 cities," Kadkhodaei said."

in other words, the disagreement is now not a question of whether multiple
sides were playing fast and loose with the integrity of elections, but
whether those shenanigans altered the outcome.

3) unlike petras, the george friedman article is solid. for one, it's
nuanced. he admits the results may be fraudulent and recognizes (unlike
petras) that there aren't really any "good guys" in this contest. he
definitely makes a good argument as to why even though fraud was likely,
Ahmadinejad would have won anyway. but even friedman makes some awkward
moves in causal reasoning. for example, he says, "Mousavi persuasively
detailed his fraud claims Sunday, and they have yet to be rebutted. But if
his claims of the extent of fraud were true, the protests should have spread
rapidly [but haven't]." This reasoning has at least two flaws. first, he
creates an artificially & arbitrarily short timeframe by which to judge
whether revolution is spreading. it's been less than two weeks since the
election. the 1979 revolution took more than 12 months from the time it
began in 1978. to claim that because the uprising hasn't spread at the speed
of light is evidence that Ahmadinejad has majority support is spurious.
second, he admits that threats of repression could deter potential
uprisings, but then just sort of dismisses that as a a reason why the other
masses haven't joined in. but those threats are exactly what would deter the
kinds of voters [conservative, attracted to claims of piety] that would be
cowed by basij.

4) also, why does george friedman - editor-in-chief for Stratfor, global
intelligence player - getting a free pass in the source quals debate?
couldn't his arguments be given the same suspicious eye that "mainstream
media" are held to? i'm not saying it a disqualifier, but it does seem a bit
selective to say that "western media" are biased, but not even account for
the possibility that a media conglomerate that relies on "security analysis"
might have a reason to shade the debate a certain way that favors their own
interests.

5) speaking of that bias, the weakness of the "CIA exports revolution"
claims (including the article by Roberts) is that it assumes a waaaay
oversimplified version of what the West thinks is in its best interests. as
many commentators have noted, US neo-cons' thirst for war with Iran is
helped - not hurt - by an Ahmadinejad victory. it's a lot easier to sell
imperialist adventures to the american public if there's an easily
identifiable enemy. and Ahmadinejad has been the poster-boy for that - from
his denial of the h'caust to his oddly naive claims about homosexuality in
Iran. thus, there's *at least *as good a chance that US imperialists would
benefit from news stories which portray the Iranian public as solidly
backing the "evil" (by Western accounts) Ahmadinejad. the trial balloons for
military responses against Iran (whether by the US or Israel) have always
been airstrikes, not infantry. and that matters b/c it answers the rebuttal
that fomenting fake revolution in Iran would justify US intervention. ONLY
if that intervention is troops on the ground, NOT air strikes that cause
civilian collateral damage  - the only way to sell this latter option is to
depict the Iranian people as unworthy of humane consideration. but the
coverage by Western media has done just the opposite. in other words, which
scenario plays out best for imperialist interests is much more complicated
(and even contradictory) than the "CIA is faking a rev" claims assume.

p.s. - yes, we do agree on several items in this discussion. i'm trying to
leave those untended to in order to focus on the points where we may
diverge.